Thrown ball hits defensive coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
ASA 10U Rec.

Had a scenario last night that got me thinking *what if*. Here's what happened:

R1 on 3B, R2 on 1B, B3 has a 3 ball, 2 strike count, with 2 outs. B3 swings and misses for strike 3. The ball bounces in the dirt before F2 can catch it. Initially, B3 starts walking back to her dugout (3B side) before her coach tells her to run to 1B since it was a dropped 3rd strike. She takes off for 1B. Meanwhile R2 runs to 2B. F2 watches B3 run right by her (does not attempt to tag B3, B3 does not attempt to avoid F2), and then throws the ball to 2B in an attempt to get R2. R1 then runs home and scores. The throw is too late to get the out on R2 at 2B, and the subsequent throw to 1B is too late to get B3 out. Both coach and manager of the defensive team have since come onto the field and start yelling about 1B being occupied, while the play is in progress and the ball is live. I waited until there was no more potential action and call dead ball. I call the manager over to me and inform him that he is correct in that 1B was occupied, and normally the dropped 3rd strike rule is not effect with a runner on 1B. However, because there were 2 outs, the dropped 3rd strike rule is in effect, regardless of 1B being occupied. Thinking about the play later, what if the thrown ball is not caught at 1B and hits one of the defensive coaches now on the field arguing while the ball is in play? Blocked ball, 2 base award from time of throw? Should the manager and coach be watching the rest of the game from the parking lot?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
I bet the defensive coach feels like an idiot!

After I explained it to the manager, he said that it was the first time he ever heard of that rule. For the next inning and a half, they were all huddled around a phone looking up the rule. I could hear them discussing it and reading it aloud to each other, becoming more and more agitated, until they reached "2. Any time there are two outs." Didn't hear a peep about it after that.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
ASA 10U Rec.

Had a scenario last night that got me thinking *what if*. Here's what happened:

R1 on 3B, R2 on 1B, B3 has a 3 ball, 2 strike count, with 2 outs. B3 swings and misses for strike 3. The ball bounces in the dirt before F2 can catch it. Initially, B3 starts walking back to her dugout (3B side) before her coach tells her to run to 1B since it was a dropped 3rd strike. She takes off for 1B. Meanwhile R2 runs to 2B. F2 watches B3 run right by her (does not attempt to tag B3, B3 does not attempt to avoid F2), and then throws the ball to 2B in an attempt to get R2. R1 then runs home and scores. The throw is too late to get the out on R2 at 2B, and the subsequent throw to 1B is too late to get B3 out. Both coach and manager of the defensive team have since come onto the field and start yelling about 1B being occupied, while the play is in progress and the ball is live. I waited until there was no more potential action and call dead ball. I call the manager over to me and inform him that he is correct in that 1B was occupied, and normally the dropped 3rd strike rule is not effect with a runner on 1B. However, because there were 2 outs, the dropped 3rd strike rule is in effect, regardless of 1B being occupied. Thinking about the play later, what if the thrown ball is not caught at 1B and hits one of the defensive coaches now on the field arguing while the ball is in play? Blocked ball, 2 base award from time of throw? Should the manager and coach be watching the rest of the game from the parking lot?

If the defensive coaches run out onto the field to argue during a live play. Hit by the ball or not they should have been tossed

Feb 7, 2013
If the defensive coaches run out onto the field to argue during a live play. Hit by the ball or not they should have been tossed

You need to remember this is 10u rec and just as instructional for the coaches as it is for the rec players. Everyone's trying to learn how the game is played. I appreciate that the umpire has patience for both the players and coaches at this age and level of play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32