Force play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2022
Runners on 1b and 2b, 2 out. Dropped third strike. Can catcher throw to 3b for the third out?

May 29, 2015
Runners on 1b and 2b, 2 out. Dropped third strike. Can catcher throw to 3b for the third out?

doctor-strange-doc-strange.gif

Nov 9, 2021
I would say yes. Would be same as catcher stepping on home plate if bases were loaded with two outs on a dropped third strike. I coached enough 10u games that I know you can do that for an out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Funny story about drop 3rd strike. My daughter was an 8u player, playing on a very mediocre part time 10u travel team. There was a lot of drop third strike plays. The catchers were having issues making the throw to first base on a dropped 3rd strike. The head coach came up with the idea of throwing the ball back to the pitcher, then the pitcher would throw the ball to first base on a dropped 3rd strike. (LOL). This actually worked the one time they did it.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
I would say yes. Would be same as catcher stepping on home plate if bases were loaded with two outs on a dropped third strike.

I saw a crazy play... Last inning- visiting team batting down 1 bases loaded- 2 outs
Dropped 3rd Strike.... The catcher picked up the ball and fired it into right field. All three runners scored and the batter ends up on 3rd. The crowd is going wild, BUT...

The catcher inadvertently stepped on home for the force out to end the game while trying to throw to first. The ump called it immediately, but the crowd and players were so loud that no one heard it. He as out front of the plate waving his arms as the runners rounded the bases, but no one was looking at him.

You can imagine how happy the visitors were to learn they lost.

May 27, 2022
I saw a crazy play... Last inning- visiting team batting down 1 bases loaded- 2 outs
Dropped 3rd Strike.... The catcher picked up the ball and fired it into right field. All three runners scored and the batter ends up on 3rd. The crowd is going wild, BUT...

The catcher inadvertently stepped on home for the force out to end the game while trying to throw to first. The ump called it immediately, but the crowd and players were so loud that no one heard it. He as out front of the plate waving his arms as the runners rounded the bases, but no one was looking at him.

You can imagine how happy the visitors were to learn they lost.

WOW - good for him for seeing it! I hope the crowd and coaches were understanding of his explanation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802