Throwing Problems!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2013
My dd is very athletic and does great at fielding. She is super fast and should be playing short stop except one major problem- she can't throw to her target! It is so frustrating for us, her and the coaches. She is on an 8 and under team. She throws hard and fast and has a great arm but can not hit her target. She is playing first base because she cant throw correctly. Help! What do we do to help that problem.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Check out wassermanstrength.com

Read thru the blog post and watch some of the vids...... they will help.

My daughter improved her throwing significantly after we started doing some drills and paying attention to the correct mechanics.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
None of my kids could hit a target consistently at age 8, either. DS #1 is now in Junior Legion and DD is a 3-time All-Star. DS #2 pitches and catches in 10U.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
We would need to see videos, to help very well. Yes, to the Wasserman link. Generally, girls aren't using a 4 seam grip or getting ahold of any seams at all.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
We would need to see videos, to help very well. Yes, to the Wasserman link. Generally, girls aren't using a 4 seam grip or getting ahold of any seams at all.

IMO girls aren't taught good throwing (etc etc) mechanics when they first start playing fastpitch SB and the size of their hands relative to a SB makes it even more problematic. Playing baseball with the boys for a few years can often be a quicker path to learning and mastering basic fundamentals.

Dec 11, 2013
Glendale, CA
Without seeing a video this is tough however most of the time when I am dealing with accuracy issues with girls who have strong arms they are usually rushing their throw. In their head they truly think they cannot make the throw and/or feel like they don't have enough time to get the ball to the target.

The other thing I check for is if they stay 'centered' in their throw meaning is their entire body staying in line with where they want to throw it to, including their glove position when they have their arm back and as they go through the throwing motion. Point to the target with the glove and then pull it back to their chest as their arm moves forward.

Hope this helps a bit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarie1234