Thoughts on "Horween Featherlite Leather" on Rawlings HOH gloves?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 2, 2022
Well...I was excited about my daughter's new glove.

Doing a little more research, the specific HOH I found (for a great price) is one of their "Horween Featherlite Leather" gloves (PRO120SB). In looking into this a bit more, some feel that this material is a step-down from traditional HOH construction.

Any thoughts/feedback? I can send it back and keep looking. What are the drawbacks (if any) of this material?

In the same price range as this glove (well, $10 more), is a 12" basket web A2000:

After reading a bit more on this Horween Featherlite stuff, I am thinking that the A2000 may hold up longer. Would you agree?

Thanks!

Last edited:
May 2, 2022
Just find her a 12” HOH or A2000 baseball glove, they’re both gonna play and measure out right at 11.75”. Perfect for SS.
I appreciate the suggestion of the 12” baseball glove - but is it because the baseball version of, say, the A2000, is stiffer and made of hardier materials than the A2000 fastpitch glove I listed above?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
A2000 1975 model. Deeper pocket is perfect for softball. Google Wilson glove break in guru and follow his advice. Hint: use hot water and a big mallet (twice). Glove can be ready to go in one day.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I appreciate the suggestion of the 12” baseball glove - but is it because the baseball version of, say, the A2000, is stiffer and made of hardier materials than the A2000 fastpitch glove I listed above?
The main reason is they're made better. The other is there are far more choices available. As long as you break it in with a softball, it works great. I use a Yadiar Molina model catchers mitt to catch for my daughter. It has no problem handling the larger softball.

Apr 1, 2021
Northern VA
A2000 1975 model. Deeper pocket is perfect for softball. Google Wilson glove break in guru and follow his advice. Hint: use hot water and a big mallet (twice). Glove can be ready to go in one day.
This method works great, but definitely takes longer than one day to get it game ready. I used a light kettlebell instead of mallet. The extra weight helps and the "bell" portion is about the size of a softball. Added benefit is you get a good forearm workout!

May 2, 2022
Last edited:
May 2, 2022
It looks like that is a 11.75" glove - right? I think if I am going for a baseball glove that I want it to be a 12" glove.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831