This combobulation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Try to explain this combobulation and its outcome for discussion

Runners on 1st & 2nd

Batter hits infield grounder

Defense throws to 2nd
And then throws to first to try and get Batter Runner out.
1 umpire who was very much hustling getting in good positions to make calls on the field.
Immediately showed arms out safe at second, no audible call....
( this occurred during the sequence of the play)

As the throw got to first before the batter/runner umpire indicated out at first....hand indicator, maybe a soft voice out but I don't recall hearing it.

Because the defense had thrown the ball towards first, the 3rd base coach had the runner who was safe at second continue to 3rd.
As the play was close at first, first base kind of pulled quickly from the bag to get her throw going towards third, the batter/runner continued running towards second.

This is all happening fluently. No hesitation by Runners just going.

As the defense recognized the runner from second was going to third...
they were now throwing the ball to third to try and get that out...

➡️ the Umpire suddenly stopped all play on the field.

What umpire did was say
I called the girl out at first you are out, and pointed to her ( as she was now between first and second base). and then he sent the runner that was already safe on second that was at third back to second base.

It was peculiar to see everything be stopped in the middle of action. What say those on dfp?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2014
Get better umpires...

Had a similar scenario where an umpire this Summer called "Time" during a live ball play. It's definitely infuriating, but it happens.

In scenarios like this you'd like to hear the umpire admit they screwed up... it would suffocate any further discussion about the bad intervention.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Watched the same umpire three back-to-back games.
Was on point and consistent throughout the day. Did a good job and would appreciate having them on the field again.

This was just one peculiar thing that happened. Brought it here to the discussion to see if maybe there was some obscure'ish reason that may have happened the way it did. 🤷‍♀️ maybe the Umpire felt that he should have been more verbal about making sure people knew the out happened at first?! ( perhaps he thought he caused a thinking glitch for the players) Even though we know the conclusion was irrelevant him pointing out the out. That seemed to make a difference to him. Stopping action was not a good thing. Yet there are others who are umpires here who might have another umpiring perspective to this.🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Watched the same umpire three back-to-back games.
Was on point and consistent throughout the day. Did a good job and would appreciate having them on the field again.

I would say that is what happened. Even good umpires have bad moments, and the more you work them in a day, the more likely it is to happen.

As for the offense, great head’s up play … or Cardinal fans.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Get better umpires...

Had a similar scenario where an umpire this Summer called "Time" during a live ball play. It's definitely infuriating, but it happens.

In scenarios like this you'd like to hear the umpire admit they screwed up... it would suffocate any further discussion about the bad intervention.
In my younger days I screwed up a call, I knew it, everybody knew it, I admitted it, made the best of it that I could. Of course there was one guy who wasn't going to let it go until I warned him about his impending ejection. I see why people don't want to own mistakes, it can open doors for further aggravation.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
In my younger days I screwed up a call, I knew it, everybody knew it, I admitted it, made the best of it that I could. Of course there was one guy who wasn't going to let it go until I warned him about his impending ejection. I see why people don't want to own mistakes, it can open doors for further aggravation.

That stinks. I definitely get the "risk" of owning a mistake.

Times within the last year I have screwed up and owned it:

Granted a runner time when she asked for it after a play on her, while a trailing runner was between bases.

Collided with a pitcher who was backing up a play at the plate while getting in position to make the call.

Missed a potential batter interference on a play at the plate on a passed ball trying to avoid getting in the way of the play myself and still make a call (had to do with where the ball was, how the small backstop was, etc.)

Flaked and missed a potential balk (baseball). – this one had the added flavor of the coach saying “usually when I miss a call it’s from my wife and it’s on purpose!”

Each time after the inning I approached the coach quietly, admitted my mistake. Something like "Hey Coach, my bad on that one - I'll work to get better." So far, so good – each time the coach understood and treated me like a human, and it worked out. But I can see it going sideways in a game where the intensity is turned up and/or the coach is of a certain personality.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Try to explain this combobulation and its outcome for discussion

Runners on 1st & 2nd

Batter hits infield grounder

Defense throws to 2nd
And then throws to first to try and get Batter Runner out.
1 umpire who was very much hustling getting in good positions to make calls on the field.
Immediately showed arms out safe at second, no audible call....
( this occurred during the sequence of the play)

As the throw got to first before the batter/runner umpire indicated out at first....hand indicator, maybe a soft voice out but I don't recall hearing it.

Because the defense had thrown the ball towards first, the 3rd base coach had the runner who was safe at second continue to 3rd.
As the play was close at first, first base kind of pulled quickly from the bag to get her throw going towards third, the batter/runner continued running towards second.

This is all happening fluently. No hesitation by Runners just going.

As the defense recognized the runner from second was going to third...
they were now throwing the ball to third to try and get that out...

➡️ the Umpire suddenly stopped all play on the field.

What umpire did was say
I called the girl out at first you are out, and pointed to her ( as she was now between first and second base). and then he sent the runner that was already safe on second that was at third back to second base.

It was peculiar to see everything be stopped in the middle of action. What say those on dfp?
Just out of sheer curiosity, what happened with the runner who started at second base? She obviously went to third on the grounder. Did she actually score on this play? How did the defense miss making a play on her going home?

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Just out of sheer curiosity, what happened with the runner who started at second base? She obviously went to third on the grounder. Did she actually score on this play? How did the defense miss making a play on her going home?
Sorry my initial description of the play actually started with only a runner on first base.
Good eye! Good question!

Wonder if there are any other umpires that can recall themselves stopping action in the middle of a play? Posted to see if there was any reasonings.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoCoBomber