The overhand (OH) throw

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am finding that my students are coming to pitching lessons with a lousy OH throw. It is awful.

I have a glove radar and I measure their OH throw. It seems that it is impossible for these young ladies to pitch harder than they can OH throw. In fact, if their OH throw is 32 mph, they max out on pitching at 32.

My advice to them is to work on their OH throw, every day. It seems, as that improves and strengthens, so does their pitching.

Many times they need reminded to keep their elbow higher than their shoulder (etc.) With just a few reminders, they become really happy with their throwing.

I tell them that those balls that are hit back to them in the circle need to be an out.

Many pitchers never practice the throw to 1st base and that is why they overthrow the base.

Pitchers need ground balls and pop ups and line drives hit to them frequently, so they can get that out during the game. Then, they need to know how hard to throw the ball, when to lead the second baseman across 1st base, or when it is an easy toss to the bag.

They also need to be comfortable with how much area they are supposed to cover. I do teach mine to play defense, but I see many pitchers just stand and wait for someone else to pick up the ball.

I heard M. Candrea say recently that the elite athletes he has coming into the program, have spent so much time on their skills that they never learned to go out and play catch. We need to be teaching the girls to play catch. I really enjoyed that when I was young, but I didn't have Internet and texting and videos games at home, either.

May 13, 2008
Good advise Amy. I know a hitting coach who spots poor hitters by watching their overhand throwing mechanics. He can watch them for a while and usually tell you what hitting flaws they will have. It is all related.

Jun 2, 2008
I would love to know how he can spot hitting flaws from OH throws. I would especially like to know how he figures out righty throwers and lefty hitters......

May 13, 2008
I would love to know how he can spot hitting flaws from OH throws. I would especially like to know how he figures out righty throwers and lefty hitters......

It isn't an exact science. For example, however, a player that doesn't bring their hips around may be an upper body swinger or squish the bug. Poor hand path. Bad first move. Typically the flaws in their overhand throws carry over to other aspects of their game.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
My daughter and I alway start any pitching session with a 5-10 minute overhand catch. First it's an important method for warming up and second it's a time for us to chat & chill before we "get serious". We like to make little games of quick hands or throwing to the chest, etc... to keep it fun. She has a strong arm and good technique since she also plays SS, and is pretty accurate as well.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
cshilt is correct. I have been to camps of 50 plus kids and this coach is dead on when he tells a kid after watching them throw overhand what hitting flaws they have. Plus he can spot the kids that have knee and ankle issues and he has been 100% correct after watching them throw.. If you work with students every day, it doesn't take long to see flaws that the average hitting coach doesn't see. I and many others have learned a ton from this person. Every hitting camp will start off throwing first.

Apr 20, 2009
Philippines
The Overhand throw is the most basic skill that everyone in a softball team should know and be good at. Having a good OH throw is related to pitching well because both entail being able to grip the ball and use the wrist correctly

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Wow, Tom that made me tired just watching it. I would have loved a program like that, when I was young.

I am guessing that not too many ball players ever get a chance to attend a program like that.

Here in Tucson there is a brand new gym standing empty, because of bankruptcy, that was teaching these "explosive running programs." They locked the doors and no one got their money back.

Thanks for the site.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA