The Load

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
giphy.gif

The back leg and upperbody are at max stretch. But, we have to see the before this to see before and after. The connection of the back leg pulling on the upper is tight. The hands being the other pivot point. The two rotational points fire at the same time. The hands and back hip being in different positions so the leg is pulling at the time you swing rearward.

It’s “one thing” , the swing happens at tilt.

When your still pulling back on off speed it’s over.

Why don’t you mention the hands creating the positioning of the body. The back leg isn’t involved whatsoever at that point. It goes after the hands start to create their path/plane. There is also the fact that pros talk about their hands ad nauseam. Never mention the back leg but to stay in it longer. Which really means that they’re trying to maintain hip flexion. So they can extend the ENTIRE body. Not just the rear glute. At the right time. The gif of Miggy clearly shows the elbow slot before the back legs goes. Elbow slot is the hands starting their path. Just a few things to think about.

1676858166418.gif

Reactions: TDS
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The middle/core/obliques/and a lot of other muscles load AND unload the bottom (hips) and top (shoulder chasis) in a sequence that produces whip and uncoilling. So the core uses the ground, if that makes sense.
I don't get W=W hands thing unless he is speaking of loose wrist hinge.
W=W check out Malaska golf instruction. He basically says you throw your hands and the body will respond/sync up. I think it can work but I don't like it. I am much more hand are slave to the core and for fine adjustment.

Well that makes me, Malaska and all the best players to play baseball. So maybe you should think that your way isn’t ideal but can work at the level you’ve experienced so far, right? Every single good player has a waggle or a tip or a hitch of some sort right? That’s the hands leading things. You want to get the upper against the lower more than the lower against the upper for multiple reasons. That’s why the hands are in control.

Also You know the hands swing the bat right?? So why dont you want full control of them? The way you view things is more from an effect not a cause. That’s prolly not ideal.

Whether you swing a bat or a golf club try to slot your elbow w the elbow and let the hands go along for the ride. Let me know how much control you have. What usually happens is the chest takes over and you extend early and can’t hit an outside pitch or a straight/draw shot Bc force production timing is compromised wo proper hand speed/function.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
@Rolling Hard how does the core use the ground?

1676860421249.gif

Look closely, watch the hands initiate and then rotation happen. Key word happen. Not active. I repeat not active.

Edit: the goal is to get the COM or the body behind the barrel before the barrel extends. That can only happen if the hands get in front of hip/body extension, which only happens if the hands are actively going to the ball.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
My last opinion here...Every video you show is not the hands starting the swing, it's the shoulder movement starting the bat motion forward, that is uncoiling from the hips and torso then the hands take over. You are being way too litteral on the ground thing...I speak starting from the ground up, as in that controls weight load and timing, plus the leverage from un-coiling violently.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Why don’t you mention the hands creating the positioning of the body. The back leg isn’t involved whatsoever at that point. It goes after the hands start to create their path/plane. There is also the fact that pros talk about their hands ad nauseam. Never mention the back leg but to stay in it longer. Which really means that they’re trying to maintain hip flexion. So they can extend the ENTIRE body. Not just the rear glute. At the right time. The gif of Miggy clearly shows the elbow slot before the back legs goes. Elbow slot is the hands starting their path. Just a few things to think about.

View attachment 27430

Not sure what your saying. The hand position is directly in line with the front shoulder and usually directly over the foot. Miggy is using his back scap to pull as you load up and away. He does it farther than necessary so the elbow has farther to go, it always looks like it slots when this happens. Delgado, Ryan Howard, Cruz. I know Howard and Cruz have stated they swing down and through.

@Rolling Hard how does the core use the ground?

View attachment 27435

Look closely, watch the hands initiate and then rotation happen. Key word happen. Not active. I repeat not active.

Edit: the goal is to get the COM or the body behind the barrel before the barrel extends. That can only happen if the hands get in front of hip/body extension, which only happens if the hands are actively going to the ball.

If you don’t rely on momentum and rely on stretch, you can control the load. You can’t control momentum without pulling back, which directly affects how much the rear hip actually moves forward.

The barrel is brought around with the hands. Hands don’t get out first or go the the ball. Force isn’t created out front, you can. That’s up to you.

I teach using the entire body to support the hands goal. Which is simply turning the handle, which directly turns the barrel.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
A

View attachment 27430

Again don’t understand how you can’t see that the back leg is starting at the same time as the hands TTB where you abduct the back arm. The back leg is starting from frame one. The hips are still coiled, but the back leg is starting at the same time. The back leg starts on every pitch, unless it’s an obvious ball. Otherwise you’re not ready to swing.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Not sure what your saying. The hand position is directly in line with the front shoulder and usually directly over the foot. Miggy is using his back scap to pull as you load up and away. He does it farther than necessary so the elbow has farther to go, it always looks like it slots when this happens. Delgado, Ryan Howard, Cruz. I know Howard and Cruz have stated they swing down and through.

If you don’t rely on momentum and rely on stretch, you can control the load. You can’t control momentum without pulling back, which directly affects how much the rear hip actually moves forward.

The barrel is brought around with the hands. Hands don’t get out first or go the the ball. Force isn’t created out front, you can. That’s up to you.

I teach using the entire body to support the hands goal. Which is simply turning the handle, which directly turns the barrel.

Like most of the stuff you say doesn’t match video or no pro has said before. You pull back w the scap? Or the hands? Every pro says hands. You swing w your back or back leg or you swing w your hands? Pros say hands.

The scap controls your load now? That’s whats getting pulled back right? Not even close. You will see every pro dip, hitch, pull the hands back or stiffen them before the back hip gets loaded or weighted then coiled. This stuff shouldn’t even be debatable. AJ even changed the way he loaded mid season and had his best season. That’s doesn’t match w what you say either. But it sure does seem to match what I say.

1676868984930.gif

Remember let video be your truth! -some infamous guru(you know who)

Attachments

• 1676869072902.gif
    1676869072902.gif
    8.7 MB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00