The Load

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Y
A

Again don’t understand how you can’t see that the back leg is starting at the same time as the hands TTB where you abduct the back arm. The hips are still coiled, but the back leg is starting at the same time. The back leg starts on every pitch, unless it’s an obvious ball. Otherwise you’re not ready to swing.

The back leg reacts to the hands. Most pros try to maintain the back leg. They don’t try to activate it. Usually only when it’s a lower pitch.

Jul 31, 2019
I think what he is saying is your opinion sucks. lol 😂

Seriously though another thing I saw in hitters from actually studying hitters for myself and swinging 25 years ago. I came to the conclusion that swinging from the ground up was too slow and disconnected. I came to the conclusion that the hands fired first and now I know how.
When you say the hands fire first, is that the same thing as "barrel tipping"?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
here you go W=W. skip to the 1:50 mark

Pretty good video. The main reason I see the hands leading things and being active within a good swing is mainly based on creating a turn earlier w good plane, if you don’t use the hands early you get drag or postural issues due to using the core or whatever to early. The core or hips or shoulders or legs shouldn’t initiate a swing. They are passive aggressive so to speak. They get activated they don’t initiate things.

What Malaska is getting at in his demo is getting the COM behind the hands so he can extend all parts of his body. Seen the tiger video where he wants his hands to beat his hips? Same concept. Think about how much all the body parts need to turn to get to EROM relative to each other from flexion to extension and it’s pretty easy to understand why we need the longer flexed parts to start earlier. Extension is the main power producer. Rotation is a speedy positionER.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Could you turn and let the hands hold on? Sure. Can you stay back and turn the barrel deep on a back leg? Sure. Could you open bottom up? Sure. But it just doesn’t match what the best do.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

Here, you load and stretch. The load has a forward component. You stretch against the two pivot points. So, the forward is under control because there is a pulling back against the forward.

Pretty good timing. 🥎🥎🥎

Aug 20, 2017

Ready to swing on every pitch.

IMO this is step 1 to becoming and elite hitter. The brain is good! It will prepare the body to swing if the hitter is fully committed to swinging at every pitch. If there is any indecision the load will be compromised.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog