The Downside of Being a Multi-Sport Athlete

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
There are many benefits to being a multi-sport athlete, as has been detailed here as well as in numerous articles and athlete-driven promos across the Internet. The cross-training, the different styles of coaching, the different atmospheres, etc. all contribute to making a well-rounded athlete who can compete more effectively. The old-school types in particular love […]

More...

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
For most, those multi sport athletes don't aren't necessarily the best athletes at each sport. Most of them are good enough to make the varsity team at each sport and put up with the coaching BS. Most of the time, at least with my experience they don't play TB or AAu at those sports. They don't end up going to play in college.

However, there are those REAL DEAL top 1% players that can play several sports because they are true athletes and are competitors. They end up playing one sport in college but could play other sports too. My GF in college was recruited for both VB and softball to different schools. She choose Softball. Back then, schools in Tx did not even have HS softball. Hard to imagine right! Just TB. She was super competitive at everything.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
This example number 5,234,234 of Do as I say, not do as I do.

Coaches say this stuff on TV, interviews and articles, but they wont generally let you play another sport.

Jun 8, 2016
This example number 5,234,234 of Do as I say, not do as I do.

Coaches say this stuff on TV, interviews and articles, but they wont generally let you play another sport.
Did you actually read the article? He was talking about HS age.

Jun 8, 2016
My sister started varsity in 3 sports (softball,basketball and volleyball) all 4 years of HS and could have played in college in all 3. However if she had to do it again she would have only played two max..she said she was burned out and this is with only playing club volleyball her last two years.

Jun 8, 2016
Yes. You think HS coaches want kids to play another sport?
Probably not but “let” is a strong word in HS. I guess if you are marginal player they can hang PT over your head..Also “they”, eg HS coaches, aren’t usually talking about it “on TV” hence my assumption..

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I had 3 multi-sport kids, and there was constant subtle pressure. Recommended off-season camps, instructions, teams, etc. Plus practice and game conflicts, warnings about getting hurt in the other sport, etc.

Jun 8, 2016
I had 3 multi-sport kids, and there was constant subtle pressure. Off-season camps, instructions, teams, etc. Plus practice and game conflicts, warnings about getting hurt in the other sport, etc.
Pressure isn’t “let”

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Oh, I see what you are saying now. :) Yes 'let' was not the right word exactly. I will get my 2nd cup of coffee now.

'HS coaches, aren’t usually talking about it “on TV” hence my assumption..' HS coaches get interviewed on our local sports TV news, plus a county cable channel.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13