The #1 Measure of the Quality of a Fastpitch Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Ask a group of fastpitch softball coaches or fanatics what the best way is to measure the quality of a pitcher and you’re going to get a variety of answers. Most of which come down to the three S’s – speed, spin, spot. The most popular, in most cases, is likely to be speed. There’s […]

More...

Oct 4, 2018
Nice article.

There is that intangible quality in pitchers. "She just wins games" or "she just gets girls out". I too think it's due to the three S's in large part, but sometimes a pitcher who might not look as good on paper or in tryouts simply gets girls out.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021
Those stations at tryouts never assess the mental game: confidence on the mound, handling stress, encouraging the fielders, remembering batters and their weaknesses, and knowing what to throw when.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
IMO, the three S's order of importance:
Spot
Spin
Speed
Speed is way overrated. Good hitters love straight 65 with a telegraphed CU.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Oddly enough, the linked article was right below Ken's article. It argues that speed is number 1, which I tend to agree with.

Apr 23, 2023
Age old debate.. may never be settled but priorities often change depending on age level: IMO—> Rec League & 6-9u = spot/throw strikes, 10-12u = speed at close range, 13-14u = whatever combo to be successful/win and make a desired club team, 15u =speed for D1 attention, 16u =whatever combo gets you committed at your appropriate level, 17u and college= be good at whatever the coach recruited you for.

Apr 14, 2022
Consistent and fearless. Guts to attack the hitter getting ahead, and making good pitches no matter the situation. Good pitching for 7 innings usually beats great pitching for 5-6 with below average for 1-2.

May 13, 2021
Oddly enough, the linked article was right below Ken's article. It argues that speed is number 1, which I tend to agree with.

I agree with this article.

May 27, 2013
I’ll just go with being able to throw the changeup for a K on a 3-2 count with bases loaded. Takes a certain set to be able to do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles