Yes, Virginia, In Pitching Speed Does Matter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Spin. Spot. Speed. Everyone involved in fastpitch pitching, whether as a player, parent, coach, instructor, or just interested observer loves to talk about those three attributes. One of the most common statements you’ll see in Facebook fastpitch group discussions is something to the effect of, “Speed is good. But it’s really your ability to hit […]

More...

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The college coach will figure he/she can teach that girl to hit her spots a lot more easily than he/she can teach the other one to throw 65 mph.

I have no doubt that most college coaches believe this, but I wonder if it's actually true. Is teaching control actually easier than teaching velocity? And, actually, in terms of teaching, isn't it the same? Don't they go hand in hand?

I suppose that depends on the pitchers and why one has trouble locating and why the other has trouble topping mid-50s. It's possible that the pitcher who doesn't throw as hard has identifiable/correctable mechanical issues.

Oct 14, 2019
I think that speed is an athletic trait similar to jumping high or running fast. I believe that control and spin are a matter of repetition and discipline. I can understand how a coach would conclude that it is easier to teach spin and control rather than speed.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I have no doubt that most college coaches believe this, but I wonder if it's actually true. Is teaching control actually easier than teaching velocity? And, actually, in terms of teaching, isn't it the same? Don't they go hand in hand?

I suppose that depends on the pitchers and why one has trouble locating and why the other has trouble topping mid-50s. It's possible that the pitcher who doesn't throw as hard has identifiable/correctable mechanical issues.
It's hard to generalize with how this might work. You could also say that when a pitcher changes her technique to add velocity she has to relearn control with those new mechanics.

What baffles me is how some of these pitchers throw bullet spin at 70mph, the actual mechanics of it escapes me. When I have a pitcher with a natural top spin fastball and I ask her throw bullet spin she will lose a few mph.

Dec 6, 2019
Did you steal this from me?? lol

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Just because of DD I disagree with this a little bit. She was never a fast ball thrower, she could if she was annoyed at something which could be fun. I asked her what was wrong when she started throwing heat. Her game was more control.

If I was recruiting for a Team, I would take the hard thrower so I understand the point.

Sep 19, 2018
I think that speed is an athletic trait similar to jumping high or running fast. I believe that control and spin are a matter of repetition and discipline. I can understand how a coach would conclude that it is easier to teach spin and control rather than speed.
This has long been the view of MLB and assessing prospects. But the fact is, fine motor control is just as much an athletic trait as explosiveness. Of course, they can both be improved through training, but everyone has their limit.

I understand that baseball and softball pitching are different, but at this point MLB knows, the pitchers with the best control at in the majors where also the ones with the best control as prospects.

I am willing to bet if there was some way of tracking this in softball we'd find something very similar. The college seniors with the best control were also the high school seniors and college freshman that showed the best control.

Oct 14, 2019
That’s why I specifically equated velocity to jumping or running. I would compare spin and control to 3 point shooting or wedge play in golf. And nobody is getting any consideration in MLB or P5 college softball pitching without some baseline velocity. In other words, spin and control without velocity won’t get you very far.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
And nobody is getting any consideration in MLB or P5 college softball pitching without some baseline velocity. In other words, spin and control without velocity won’t get you very far.

Unfortunately those are the cold, hard facts.
Now the big question is…. what is considered acceptable velocity? 60+? 65+?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802