Yes, Virginia, In Pitching Speed Does Matter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
Unfortunately those are the cold, hard facts.
Now the big question is…. what is considered acceptable velocity? 60+? 65+?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good question. I don't have the answer, but I think it has increased in the last 5 to 10 years. I assume this is due to better instruction and less Hello Elbow being taught, but I don't have anything concrete to back that up. My 13 year old DD just hit 60 for the first time at her pitching lesson, and while she is fast, she is by know means an outlier, especially at PGF events.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
60 mph at 13 is an outlier. Guess you would have to define outlier. My DD plays 14U is So Cal and competes in PGF events. I have a pocket radar out every weekend. My conservative estimation would be less than 10% of 14u pitchers throw 60 mph or higher in game situation.
Here is my very unscientific break down across all 14U pitcher at game speed. (not at their indoor lesson)
10% = under 49 mph
45% = 50 to 53 mph
25% = 54 to 57 mph
10% = 58 to 59 mph
10% = 60 mph plus

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I think that speed is an athletic trait similar to jumping high or running fast. I believe that control and spin are a matter of repetition and discipline. I can understand how a coach would conclude that it is easier to teach spin and control rather than speed.

The way MLB organizations are able to project and add significant velocity to pitchers suggests that's not entirely true.

I'd argue there's even more projectability/room for growth with high school-age softball pitchers since they often have poor pitching coaches, little to no technology to analyze and improve their mechanics, etc.

IOW, I think it's more than likely that a pitcher who tops out mid-50s could add the necessary few mph with smart people guiding her along (and, of course, if she's a hard worker; maybe her velocity is limited because she's not putting in the effort to improve).

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
60 mph at 13 is an outlier. Guess you would have to define outlier. My DD plays 14U is So Cal and competes in PGF events. I have a pocket radar out every weekend. My conservative estimation would be less than 10% of 14u pitchers throw 60 mph or higher in game situation.
Here is my very unscientific break down across all 14U pitcher at game speed. (not at their indoor lesson)
10% = under 49 mph
45% = 50 to 53 mph
25% = 54 to 57 mph
10% = 58 to 59 mph
10% = 60 mph plus

And, of course, playing in SoCal in PGF events already puts you ahead of almost everybody else.

Seeing 14U pitchers regularly throw 50+ around here is unusual. Maybe at A tournaments you'll get some of that, but definitely not in B tournaments. We rarely face pitchers in our high school games who throw much above 50.

May 18, 2019
10% = under 49 mph
45% = 50 to 53 mph
25% = 54 to 57 mph
10% = 58 to 59 mph
10% = 60 mph plus
Serious question: I often clock my daughters at games with a pocket radar but it's really hard to get the angle correct due to backstop height, umpire, and batter. I almost always get readings at games that are 1-2 mph faster than at home though my eyes say 1-2 mph slower. Any tips for how to get the best readings at games?

Oct 14, 2019
The way MLB organizations are able to project and add significant velocity to pitchers suggests that's not entirely true.

I'd argue there's even more projectability/room for growth with high school-age softball pitchers since they often have poor pitching coaches, little to no technology to analyze and improve their mechanics, etc.

IOW, I think it's more than likely that a pitcher who tops out mid-50s could add the necessary few mph with smart people guiding her along (and, of course, if she's a hard worker; maybe her velocity is limited because she's not putting in the effort to improve).
You’re talking about pitchers already in an MLB organization. These players are proven athletes who throw very hard and were drafted due to such athletic prowess. I have no doubt that MLB can take a pitcher who throws 93 and teach them to throw 98. I also believe that softball pitchers can improve their velocity from whatever baseline they are starting from. Some just start with better baselines.

May 21, 2018
10% = under 49 mph
45% = 50 to 53 mph
25% = 54 to 57 mph
10% = 58 to 59 mph
10% = 60 mph plus
I need to get a gun myself. Every tournament, especially PGF, I hear all this talk about this girl just clocked this, or that girl just clocked that, but I don't actually see these readings so I guess it could all be B.S.

You got a feeling for the drop off between speeds at indoor lessons vs. in game? I know this going to vary by pitcher, but I'm curious if you have a number. There isn't any lack of 07's and 08's hitting 60 at lessons, unless all these coaches on Instagram are pulling a fast one.

I don't if anyone on here knows the girl for the Florida E.C. Bullets 14U team, but that girl can flat bring it. I'd like to know what she guns in games so I have a reference point. She is one of the fastest we have seen this fall.

Edit: One last question. Is there any kind of etiquette when gunning pitchers at tournaments? Is it bad form to gun other teams pitchers?

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Serious question: I often clock my daughters at games with a pocket radar but it's really hard to get the angle correct due to backstop height, umpire, and batter. I almost always get readings at games that are 1-2 mph faster than at home though my eyes say 1-2 mph slower. Any tips for how to get the best readings at games?
I have a couple of pitchers who are generally faster in games than they are in practice. I think they get amped up for competition. One thing that is often overlooked is 'intention'. Having the intention to throw fast is a key component of increasing speed and in games that intention is there for these pitchers. When we do the velocity part of a practice the mph is often similar, but not always.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
You’re talking about pitchers already in an MLB organization. These players are proven athletes who throw very hard and were drafted due to such athletic prowess. I have no doubt that MLB can take a pitcher who throws 93 and teach them to throw 98. I also believe that softball pitchers can improve their velocity from whatever baseline they are starting from. Some just start with better baselines.

Fair point. But we're talking softball pitchers throwing mid-50s, which is really just under the velocity needed to succeed at very high levels (and mid-50s can absolutely succeed at lower level college programs). I think to even get to that point, you have to have a fairly high level of ability. It's like a pro baseball pitcher throwing 87-88; not quite good enough, but if you can add a few mph all of a sudden you're viable. It may certainly be true that some athletes are maxing out in the mid-50s, but with the lack of quality pitching instruction around, it's my suspicion that a lot of these 16-year-olds throwing mid-50s have a lot more potential and they just need someone with the knowledge to help them unlock it.

So to bring this back to my original point: Ken is absolutely right about the perception of most college coaches. I just wonder if their perception is actually correct. I'd bet the smart coaches can look at these mid-50s pitchers with great control, identify some mechanical flaws, and project them throwing harder once those flaws are corrected. That doesn't strike me as necessarily more difficult than taking someone who throws in the low 60s and fixing her terrible control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802