Teenage players and team chemistry

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
How well do they actually know each other? Bowling and team meals are good, and a great place to start, but until they actually get to know each other and build deeper relationships, its tough.

One of my favorite team exercises is Hero, Highlight, Hardship. The teams that I've had come together the best, committed to this one and really shared real life stuff. It's pretty simple in practice but it takes courage. Get everyone together and they each share a Hero in their life, a Highlight of their life - preferably outside of softball, and a Hardship they've had to overcome or are still going through. We've had some kids really open up and share some meaningful stuff and tears were shed by all, and others who just aren't comfortable being vulnerable, and both are ok. Each can share as much or little as they want.

It can build empathy and understanding where the other is coming from and what they're going through.

Jun 8, 2016
In college freshmen orientation we had a day of "get to know each other activities"..I skipped them went to a Red Sox game.. 🤷‍♂️

Jun 8, 2016
Maybe. But teenage girls are also very social creatures. They need connection and communication.

I wonder what the team's record is.
I will agree they are creatures..listening to them in a group made my ears bleed when I was a teenager myself and it still does 🤣

Jun 8, 2016
One of my favorite team exercises is Hero, Highlight, Hardship. The teams that I've had come together the best, committed to this one and really shared real life stuff. It's pretty simple in practice but it takes courage. Get everyone together and they each share a Hero in their life, a Highlight of their life - preferably outside of softball, and a Hardship they've had to overcome or are still going through. We've had some kids really open up and share some meaningful stuff and tears were shed by all, and others who just aren't comfortable being vulnerable, and both are ok. Each can share as much or little as they want.

It can build empathy and understanding where the other is coming from and what they're going through.
I am sure it works well for most but ugghh...lol.

Jun 8, 2016
On a serious note the only thing you should require from a player is that they are not a disruption so that any player feels uncomfortable to the point
where it effects their play. Softball is not a team sport in the way basketball or football is..you don't have to pass to anybody or block for anybody. Each player has to win their individual "battle" (whether it be with the pitcher,batter, ground ball, fly ball,etc). Outside of the occasional sacrifice bunt, what is good for the individual is good for the team. If a player cannot manage that requirement then they can be shown the door..

Aug 23, 2016
Having been a teenaged girl once myself, I have to say that the more you try to force bonding, the more the girls will resist. And frankly, I don't believe they really need to bond that much.

DD's coach has flat-out told his team that he doesn't care if they hate each other, they have to get along on the field and that's it. I think it takes a lot of pressure off them when they don't feel like they need to be friends, that being teammates is enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06