Teenage players and team chemistry

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I appreciate everyone’s responses! I just joined this site and am still figuring out how to work it lol you would think I would be better at technology at the age of 24. I read through them all and am gonna try a couple different approaches and see what happens. I forgot to mention, this is also my first time as a head coach right out of college ball so I’m still learning some things. Very very open to trying different methods. Thanks all

There is one clique--the team. There are no other cliques.

Randomly pair players up for activities. During the games and the tournaments, everyone stays together.

Jun 27, 2021
Anyone have any advice on how to make teenage softball players build better team chemistry? It is a struggle trying to get my 16u team to mesh well and trust/communicate/respect each other.
Starts with the HC, set rules, standards and expectations. Culture although cliché is key, have an identity and don't stray.
What kind of team are you? If you have 50% wanting to play at the next level, they won't appreciate the other 50% without the same goal in the long run.
Practice- fundamentals, skull sessions (increase softball IQ, scenarios), keep it light and concise
Phones are killers, but majority use them for downtime. A good tic toc video of the team break barriers it seems.
But going back to the first point, it starts with the HC. Girls have to feel good to play good, keep it light and easy.

Sep 20, 2021
There is one clique--the team. There are no other cliques.

Randomly pair players up for activities. During the games and the tournaments, everyone stays together.
I started doing this. Each week I assign them a new partner. They do everything with that partner: throw, stretch, hit, run. I tell them to make sure they have each others phone numbers. I encourage them to talk outside of softball by asking them things that they learned about their teammate at the end of the week. We're about two weeks in and it seems to be helping a bit and the girls have taken to it really well.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Your good.

With your age and gender you are in a better place then me.

I did some crazy non SB stuff after games and at practice. Most worked but not all. I am still surprised I was not banned.

Do not be afraid to do, lack of better word, silly stuff which gets players laughing and competing without SB in hand.

Jan 8, 2019
I appreciate everyone’s responses! I just joined this site and am still figuring out how to work it lol you would think I would be better at technology at the age of 24. I read through them all and am gonna try a couple different approaches and see what happens. I forgot to mention, this is also my first time as a head coach right out of college ball so I’m still learning some things. Very very open to trying different methods. Thanks all
As a new/young coach, you will also have to earn their respect and trust. Continually show them that that you care about them and the sport. Be confident! Be a student of the game yourself, show them that learning is a constant. Connect with them as individuals, don’t try to force the same instructional styles on everyone. Be flexible and patient, some things may not look like they are working for a while, some may never work.

Jul 19, 2021
In 16u a player left for another Team. We were in tournament against old player's new Team. Had a break and DD and another player were watching old player's game.

Me: What are you doing? How is game going?

Them: we are just watching to see her fail.
What was your response to that comment

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse