Team USA vs. Japan Now ESPN3

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
The whole thing reminded me of the cold war Olympics. Professionals playing college kids. would love to see them play the usssa pride.

Hen the players in the Pride should play. They've chosen to be professionals and not represent their country, that's the result.

Euno would still destroy most teams.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Hen the players in the Pride should play. They've chosen to be professionals and not represent their country, that's the result.

Euno would still destroy most teams.

Kind of true. My understanding is that the NPF players who used to be on Team USA decided to commit to getting the NPF established and the ASA has decided that if you aren't committed 100% to the USA team then you can't be on the USA team. Most of the Team USA players are being paid as well - it isn't big bucks and I don't know what it is, but it has to be somewhere close to NPF money (which also is not much) so they are professionals as well.

Right now it is giving some more players another path to play beyond college in the USA so that is OK short term. It is also important that other countries are showing they are closing the gaps to help with Olympic reinstatement. It would really be beneficial for a team other than USA/Japan/Australia/Canada to win a medal at a World Championship. Several teams pushed these teams this championship which is good news.

That said, NPF needs to get to 8 teams over the next few years if it wants to be 'safe' - 4 isn't cutting it - and not having one in California is inexcusable.

And yes, Ueno and the other Japanese pitchers and players are a handful for any team or player. My homeland (Australia) has some fine players as well.

Oct 25, 2009
It's good for other countries to win sometimes. If the USA kept dominating like they did in the past softball might lose its global attraction. Now other countries might feel they have a chance after all. It was getting a little boring.

Mar 13, 2010
It was only Athens where the USA dominated. They were beaten in every other Olympics in at least one game.

Incredibly impressed by Rachel Lack on the Aussie team. She came to her first senior championship and crushed it. Stacey Porter is just brilliant, been playing her since a little girl and she's still the best player in June country.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Farmboydrose