Team Rules~No player/parent interaction at the ballpark

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
Not sure how old your daughter is but at least at 12 and older

Part of your situation is that the coach allows you too be a helper coach. And part of that dilemma is that if all parents are able to be the helper coaches then you don't actually have coaches
you have parents running a team.
No, the coach clearly runs the team and asks for help when needed. Not that complicated.
would suggest in your situation for your daughter to talk to the coach and daughter to become familiar with her catchers. And share those keywords that might help her.
So I can't talk with my DD, but I can talk to the catchers? I'm not going to do that. They have enough to worry about without my dumb*ss in their ear.
But cannot stand off to the side and be the Pitcher Whisperer throughout her entire career.
Darn it!! There goes all my hopes and aspirations of sitting next to Patty in the dugout. hmmmm.....better enact Plan B.
Unless daddy needs that...🙂
Maybe you're projecting a bit? :)

May 17, 2012
This is what I'm talking about. Basically all I say is "shoulder down and back on the change" and problem solved.

And your coaches can't physically utter those words? If you say they won't or can't be bothered it goes to my point.

It just doesn't matter.

Your daughter hears your voice above all others and now you have incorporated yourself into the game. Well-intentioned or not most teams have specific rules about parent/player interaction during games.

Your intent may be pure but surely you can see the other side of it?

May 21, 2018
And your coaches can't physically utter those words? If you say they won't or can't be bothered it goes to my point.

It just doesn't matter.

Your daughter hears your voice above all others and now you have incorporated yourself into the game. Well-intentioned or not most teams have specific rules about parent/player interaction during games.

Your intent may be pure but surely you can see the other side of it?
What other side of it? Our team doesn't have that specific rule, if they did I wouldn't say anything, but I would hope the coaches would be more inclined to learn about pitching.

I'm arguing just to argue at this point. If teams want to run themselves like that it's totally cool with me. I just don't think you can make these blanket statements about what is right and wrong. In the words of that great philosopher @pattar, the world isn't perfect.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
No, the coach clearly runs the team and asks for help when needed. Not that complicated.

So I can't talk with my DD, but I can talk to the catchers? I'm not going to do that. They have enough to worry about without my dumb*ss in their ear.

Darn it!! There goes all my hopes and aspirations of sitting next to Patty in the dugout. hmmmm.....better enact Plan B.

Maybe you're projecting a bit? :)
Such a defensive post common from parents about their kids.
Since this topic is actually about softball... my comments are about softball not particularly you

At what point do you think A daughter/person should be able to play the sport without parent? That's not a kick in the leg to parents and I'm not trying to be sarcastic and snarky,
it's just a real question about A daughter participating in the sport without her dad/mom coaching her during a game who's not actually the coach on the field?

Can see how you responded on something that was offered as a simple suggestion that absolutely makes sense, for your daughter to start communicating with her own coach and communicate with her catcher.

If you don't recognize how a parent interacting with the team 50/50 is a coaching helper that's ok.

It's nice that a coach runs the team and it's absolutely okay if they want to have off the field parent coaching helpers. There are lots of parents want to be helpers but how often are they allowed to interject their coaching. 🙂?!

Again not sure how old your daughter is. But at a certain point think it crosses a line to have parents interjecting what they think is coaching their kids who are playing in a game and are old enough to learn for themselves.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
Such a defensive post common from parents about their kids.
Since this topic is actually about softball... are about softball not particularly you

At what point do you think your daughter should be able to play the sport without you? That's not a kick in the leg and I'm not trying to be sarcastic and snarky it's just a real question about your daughter participating in the sport without her dad coaching her during a game who's not actually the coach on the field?

Can see how you responded on something that was offered as a simple suggestion that absolutely makes sense, for your daughter to start communicating with her own coach and communicate with her catcher.

If you don't recognize how a parent interacting with the team 50/50 is a coaching helper that's ok.

It's nice that a coach runs the team and it's absolutely okay if they want to have parent coaching helpers. There are lots of parents want to be helpers but how often are they wanting to interject their coaching. 🙂?!

Again not sure how old your daughter is. But at a certain point think it crosses a line to have parents interjecting with their kid players while there on the field.
Don't take my posts too seriously. It's 14u softball, I don't take it seriously at all. I just like arguing on the internet. It's super productive. :)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Don't take my posts too seriously. It's 14u softball, I don't take it seriously at all. I just like arguing on the internet. It's super productive. :)
It's softball conversation. And I'm glad that you want to bring your conversation to it. Hopefully folks can figure out when to draw the line on continuing to coach their child when they are playing a game. When they are capable to be responsible for themself.

Ps...🙂 hopefully when your daughter learns to drive a car she does not need you there all the time to apply the brakes.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"Would suggest in your situation for your daughter to talk to the coach and daughter to become familiar with her catchers. And share those keywords that might help her.

This ^^^^^ is what I meant. If you have a good enough relationship with coach to help out and warm pitchers up you should be able to tell him key words he could put to work. Would a cue coming from her coach be better than coming from you?

Jun 8, 2016
"Would suggest in your situation for your daughter to talk to the coach and daughter to become familiar with her catchers. And share those keywords that might help her.

This ^^^^^ is what I meant. If you have a good enough relationship with coach to help out and warm pitchers up you should be able to tell him key words he could put to work. Would a cue coming from her coach be better than coming from you?
I mentioned in a previous post, our coach doesn't want to get involved in pitching mechanics. The pitchers are left to their own devices. I don't think he has ever said a word to our pitchers about mechanics in 4 years. I tried to mention something early on, and he either doesn't want to say anything, forgets when the game is going, or just doesn't believe me. LOL.
🤷‍♂️ Maybe @jdint can get an official title as PC and that would solve all the problems :ROFLMAO:

Jun 26, 2019
You guys with the reminders. Why not discuss tour DD tendencies and the proper cue to snap her out of it and let the coaches talk to her?

In my case I am the coach, and normally that would be best to keep the team coach and parents/pitching coaches on the same page but lets be realistic here, most people do not communicate that well. I could not even get my kids parents to tell me when they were going to miss a game let alone talk about what they worked on last week with whoever was helping them pitch or hit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad