Team Rules~No player/parent interaction at the ballpark

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
That is a great post topic!

See this as coaches have to come up with some sort of standards and parameters for their teams.
Otherwise parents/players will decide how and when they want to cooperate because there is no control.

Players and families get to decide who they're going to try out for.
Coaches have to decide who they will let on their team.

if everybody knows upfront how the team is ran, it should make it easier for those who want to try out and those who don't want to.

For this team,
It was of no surprise to the list of players who wanted a spot on his roster.
Who would gratefully become available for a chance to try out.
Why don't you just tell us who the coach is and what team it is?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
This is the reason they are playing in College. The crazy parents got weeded out. For the most part the only time we can talk to our kiddo is between the games or until they get on the bus. During home games we take DD to dinner on Friday night. Then we can talk to her between games during the DH, but as soon as that last game is done, we get on the road back home. Away games, we get time at breakfast in the hotel, and then between games. Usually Sunday facetime calls is our time to have deeper conversations.

Perhaps not "crazy" at this point, but I can spot the tightly wrapped pretty quickly, and they're still present in the D1 bleachers. Those kids aren't playing college ball because mom & dad ignored their kid's development. I'll wager that at least some of them had to learn to control themselves.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Why don't you just tell us who the coach is and what team it is?
Because I don't want the topic to be about him.
It's really about a standard.

Somebody had asked earlier in the thread of how well did his players do so I responded to that.
How successful the team is may or may not reflect that coaching style for this topic. this situation it served the team well.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
I'd be open-minded but skeptical. Some kids need a break from constant softball focus/team interaction. Introverts get drained being in a peer group all day long with no escape.

RAD replied with “introverts aside,” but some kids are introverted which is why a blanket rule about staying together all day can be counterproductive.

When we’re at a tournament all day, DD needs that time in the car between games. She usually closes her eyes, puts in her headphones, and just enjoys the air conditioning. After 40 minutes, she’s refreshed and ready to go.

If I spot a group of her teammates hanging together, I often have to prompt her to go and join them. She does, when she’s ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Dec 13, 2019
RAD replied with “introverts aside,” but some kids are introverted which is why a blanket rule about staying together all day can be counterproductive.

When we’re at a tournament all day, DD needs that time in the car between games. She usually closes her eyes, puts in her headphones, and just enjoys the air conditioning. After 40 minutes, she’s refreshed and ready to go.

If I spot a group of her teammates hanging together, I often have to prompt her to go and join them. She does, when she’s ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Screenshot_20220413-142147_Chrome.jpg
To be clear I did not dismiss introverts.

I commented that I agree that not all environments are for everybody. That includes all individual nuances.
*Not only introverts.

The next comments in the thread were about having a choice of who to play for think it's good that people have choices

On the other end of the spectrum too much laxity can be terrible.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021
I am all in favor of no contact from start of warmup until after the post-game talks.

No contact between games is excessive. There are days where DD goes thru her 31oz thermoflask plus most of her 64oz one by the end of game 2. I am there half to watch but also half as a water/gatorade buffalo. What about the days they warm up and play 4 games over a 12 hour span? Demanding the kids carry an entire days worth of food and drink with them when they enter the park isn't healthy or realistic.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I am all in favor of no contact from start of warmup until after the post-game talks.

No contact between games is excessive. There are days where DD goes thru her 31oz thermoflask plus most of her 64oz one by the end of game 2. I am there half to watch but also half as a water/gatorade buffalo. What about the days they warm up and play 4 games over a 12 hour span? Demanding the kids carry an entire days worth of food and drink with them when they enter the park isn't healthy or realistic.
Don't think there was any demanding players carry 40 lb of water pretty sure there's some common sense used about hydrating the players.

This idea is not preposterous it was something that was part of not only that team but other teams use this as well.
Certainly their are times can't keep everybody together because they have to drive to and from the hotel in separate cars. But for the most part no interaction at the field was the policy.
Go to a restaurant to eat team sits together not separate with parents type of thing.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG