Team losing top pitcher to injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2015
So, you have a HS team and you lose your top pitcher, who is also our best hitter....how do you approach it as a coach/team.....we do have a #2 pitcher and an emergency #3 ...wanting to hear some sound advice , words of wisdom..lol

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I heard one of broadcasters mention during the LSU v. Arkansas game this weekend that when Arkansas lost a number of key players last season due to injury, the head coach's motto was, "Who we have is who we need." May not help very much, but sounded good.

Perhaps you can be more creative in your use of the #2 and #3 (assuming the 3 can throw strikes or offers something different than the #2, in terms of what she throws, etc.)? Take a page from the Tampa Bay Rays and go with an "opener" to see if the 3 can get you an inning or two and then go to the #2?

Also may able to use it to challenge the girls. Hate to see someone get injured, but it does open a door for other girls on the team. Challenge them to walk through it. Maybe someone you don't expect is ready to step up?

Good luck.

May 17, 2012
So, you have a HS team and you lose your top pitcher, who is also our best hitter....how do you approach it as a coach/team.....we do have a #2 pitcher and an emergency #3 ...wanting to hear some sound advice , words of wisdom..lol

You are in a bad spot. You can't play softball unless you have enough pitching. I would focus on the #3 and make a #4.

Specifically I would find someone that can throw a drop ball (pitching coach, former player, anyone really...ask on here) and that is the only pitch I would have the #3 practice.

For the #4 I would teach her a slingshot pitch which is legal in all associations. You just need someone willing and who is tough mentally to step up. You can get her throwing strikes in a short amount of time.

Ride the #2 but you need to be wary of overuse. You need at least two serviceable pitchers and a backup even with games spread out in HS.

Good luck.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I thought this was going to be a thread about a mediocre team advertising for more players using the old "due to injury" line. :ROFLMAO:

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Coach the girls who are there everyday able to play. That's your team now.

If you're now going to lose a lot more games, you need to change your mindset. You don't have to tell the players you're not worried about wins, but you need to take a different approach.

Unless your #2 is really bad, losing one player, even if it's your best player, shouldn't completely derail the season. Maybe nobody can fill her shoes, but that's not one person's job. Everybody needs to be just a little bit better to pick up the slack. If #2 is going to give up 1-2 more runs per game, it's the entire team's job to score 2-3 more runs per game.

Approach this right, and you can bring the team together and be even stronger than before.

Jun 11, 2013
As a coach once you stop crying (in private) it's time to put on a confident face. You just play with who you have and coach them up as best you can. You definitely at least need to make sure you have another pitcher so your current number 2 can be taken out if need be.

Apr 14, 2022
Remember The team making the fewest mistakes usually wins.
Throw first pitch strikes, take outs when they are given, and do not run into outs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amc2221