Team Kneeling Down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 8, 2016
I was base-coaching and a pitcher got hit by a line drive to the quad and a fan for the opposing team yelled at me for not taking a knee with the kids.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Oh the whole kneel down thing is awkward. I think it brings more attention to the injured player thats already hurt and embarrassed enough. Help her up, give her a high five or tell her to "be brave" and lets move on. No sense in bringing more attention to whats already happened.

Jun 19, 2013
Oh the whole kneel down thing is awkward. I think it brings more attention to the injured player thats already hurt and embarrassed enough. Help her up, give her a high five or tell her to "be brave" and lets move on. No sense in bringing more attention to whats already happened.

That is just what my daughter said - if it was her she doesn't want a big show with everyone quietly honoring you it's embarrassing enough. Just get my coaches or whoever to get me off the field and let the game go on.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Another awkward situation.... We were playing in a tournament a few weeks ago. Our field was adjacent a baseball field. In the middle of our game, the National Anthem started playing on the other field. Without even thinking about it, I automatically removed my hat and turned to face the flag on that field (I was coaching 1st base at the time). I was a little surprised that the umpires didn't stop our game. The players seemed a little confused but continued to play. In my opinion, the game should have been delayed until the anthem was over. Looking back on it, I wish I would have called time to push the issue a bit. I am not sure what the actual protocol is for that situation...

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
The military person in me says if you are in earshot and can hear it, you stop what you are doing and face the flag. If it was playing for another game, on another field, and play is already in progress, IDK, I think it is fine to continue playing.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Another awkward situation.... We were playing in a tournament a few weeks ago. Our field was adjacent a baseball field. In the middle of our game, the National Anthem started playing on the other field. Without even thinking about it, I automatically removed my hat and turned to face the flag on that field (I was coaching 1st base at the time). I was a little surprised that the umpires didn't stop our game. The players seemed a little confused but continued to play. In my opinion, the game should have been delayed until the anthem was over. Looking back on it, I wish I would have called time to push the issue a bit. I am not sure what the actual protocol is for that situation...

Happened at my DD's college game the year. National Anthem started playing on the Lax field. Softball game stopped all the players faced the flag and put their hands over their hearts. No one told them to stop. The game just stopped.... I stood along with all the parents. Looked over at the baseball field same. Students on campus stopped walking and stood in place. It was nice to see such respect for our flag.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
Definitely congrats to your DD for getting into the USMA.

As for halting play for songs being played on other fields or courts, it's players' choice. That doesn't warrant an "official" stoppage, but if some number of players choose to halt the action while the music plays, that's their call to make.

The same goes for in-game injuries. Initially, I think every player should stand her ground. If a fellow athlete remains down and they wish to take a knee, as with the music, it's their call to make. I think the cheering should stop, but that's just a simple courtesy that doesn't cost anyone anything. Others may not share that view, but in competition, I think it's important to respect the opponent and the game. But it's also important to note that we all show respect in different ways.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Just to clarify my DD wasn't 'appointed' to West Point. I didn't get Gags point in his post nor any ones point.
Making it clear on my point my DD or my family isn't kneeling down for a hurt player or the National Anthem. Proud American here. Carry on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maddadlopez