Teaching how to play Outfield

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I'm glad that she's interested in outfield. Being an outfielder myself, I don't think we get enough credit. It takes 6 people to cover a lot less ground than three outfielders are in charge of. I think everyone has pretty much covered what needs to be done, but I will stress backing everyone up in tryouts. As an outfielder, I've won the most hustle award and that's probably why. You work your butt off backing everyone up.

The diving catches, the pop flies you caught that would have been a home run otherwise... stuff like that is remembered forever. No where else I'd rather be and I'm proud to say that I'm one of four regular season outfielders to make an All Star team for my county (this is for 10U, 12U, 14U, and 16U combined). That is what we lack in... good outfielders. I strongly believe that you can't throw any old infielder out there in the outfield. It's not as easy as it looks.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Wow! I go away for a day and come back and this thread is just getting better! Seriously, Thank you all very much for all the info- I'm copying it down and saving it so not only can I work with my 15 y.o., but I can incorporate it with my U12's this spring!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Obbay,

Here are some other thoughts as well. I think in terms of short ideas and lists and so, this is what I have down on an Outfielder Checklist:

Jump on ball – speed – strong arm – smart – quick

Know situations – outs, score, where runners are, keep runners off what base

Know what to do with the ball before it is hit to you. (If all else fails, get to infielder.)

Must practice – who backs up where, relay man hands (quick, smooth, circle motion, communication to outfielder.)

Before all games, check
1. obstacles
2. fence
3. stands (glare etc.)
4. warning track
5. wind
6. sun,
7. communicate with others on your angles with sun

Gear – glove 12” or 13” for high school players – hot shirt –

Stance – comfortable, relaxed movements but on balls of feet – movements should be slightly forward – feet slightly (slightly) staggered – as outfielder comes forward, he should focus on the pitcher then as pitcher gets ready to deliver, draw a square in front of the hitter.

Footwork – step slightly forward, practice a crossover step to both directions – must work on groundballs to both directions. Must practice spin move for right hander when going left and just the opposite for the left hander.

Footwork is best worked on by throwing drills. Also important to footwork is the proper shoulder. If wrong shoulder pointed at the ball, conscience decision to drive the opposite shoulder at the ball. ALWAYS WORK OFF OF THE CROSSOVER STEP NOT JAB STEP!

Catching the ball, Fly Ball:

1. catch the ball by being 2 steps beyond the ball. Must practice this since it is not a natural movement.
2. catch the ball throwing side.
3. if catch the ball running away, then spin move.
4. If burned, duck and sprint to the spot.
5. Always use two hands with the throwing hand next to the glove to enable the outfielder to get the ball out fast.
6. never practice the simple catch. Always practice the catch that requires a throw. In reality, this will ensure that the outfielder is ready to make the simple catch.

Catching the ball, Ground Ball:

1. Charge and don’t let the ball play you.
2. catch the ball off of the front toe (Never catch it in between your legs unless you are down on your knees.)
3. Know the situation – No throw situation. Go down on one knee with the other leg jutting out to the side. Block this ball at all cost. No throw – clean hit slow to average runner, ball is in front of you.
4. right-hander – practice running on ball to the left and catching the ball and then spinning to throw. Must practice this spin and then throw to cut off.

Catching shoestring:
1. Must practice this gap or in front catch.
2. communication must occur to let outfielder know that they are being backed up.
3. Easiest to practice when the ground is moist and soft.

Catching the Foul Ball:

1. know fence
2. know foul line
3. know situation. Example – Winning run on third and tagged up, don’t catch foul ball if running away from home plate.

Communication:
1. Centerfield has priority over all!!!
2. Outfielders have priority over infielders.
3. Practice infielder going down on one knee when outfielder calls them off.

Throwing:
1. Throw overhead
2. Butt up in the air – arm must end picking up grass.
3. Crow hop
4. Throw to lead base. Never throw behind the runner!
5. Hit cutoff man in the head.

Line Drives:
1. Know nature of ball – line drives can rise or sink rapidly.
2. Hardest ball to catch since by nature take a step in. Must adjust fast.

Rundowns/Other:

1) Know what infielders go where
2) Outfielder is third rotation in on all rundowns.
3) know bunt situations
4) know pickoff plays and cheat
5) know responsibility on stolen base throws. (Play batter first.)
6) Check wind each inning!
7) Know arm strength (be honest) on mandatory throw to plate.
8) Outfielders back up a base on every play.
9) Listen for coach to direct you to position on playing hitters.
Be careful not to drift

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207