TB vs. Rec

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

amen........

That said, these types of rules - which are intended to protect the rec player - are a major reason many coaches and parents decide to move to TB, which offers a lot more flexibility.

Ain't that the truth.

I picked up a couple of girls for my team this year that were coming straight from rec without A ball experience. Their towns happen to have Little League as the local rec provider. One of the girls is a pitcher and her mom asked me at the tryout how many innings her DD would be able to pitch in a week if she made the team. I said, "There are no rules that govern that. In fact, in travel ball, there aren't many rules at all. The girls can live anywhere. We can play them as we see fit. They can pitch as much as we want them to and we don't have to substitute. I have the girls compete for their playing time."

She said, "Where do I sign and to whom do I make out the check?" :)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Ain't that the truth.

I picked up a couple of girls for my team this year that were coming straight from rec without A ball experience. Their towns happen to have Little League as the local rec provider. One of the girls is a pitcher and her mom asked me at the tryout how many innings her DD would be able to pitch in a week if she made the team. I said, "There are no rules that govern that. In fact, in travel ball, there aren't many rules at all. The girls can live anywhere. We can play them as we see fit. They can pitch as much as we want them to and we don't have to substitute. I have the girls compete for their playing time."

She said, "Where do I sign and to whom do I make out the check?" :)

to derail a bit further....during the rec league championship, our HC was describing his strategy of where to pitch the pitchers, where to play the players etc to satisfy the league rules.....I told him that sounded like a calculus problem not softball coaching.

examples " a pitcher can pitch no more than 3 innings but not the 5th and 6th consecutively and not 3 in a row"
"all players must play at least one inning in the infield and one in the outfield"
" good players have to play with one hand behind their back"
" if a team goes up by more than 8 runs then they the next inning they have to play blindfolded on defense"
"all girls must be told 'good job' on every play, despite any apparent lack of effort, concentration, caring, showing up for practice, having a good attitude"....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44