Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Here’s a few from today.

View attachment 23253

View attachment 23254

View attachment 23256

feed back is welcome.

WW, nice work !! Looks smooth and effortless.. The last swing she appears late getting to her position of leverage but her free hands allows her to pull them in and adjust nicely.

Similar to this miggy clip..

qrNpIYv.gif

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thank you Ww.

xTVatby.gif

aiWtIUD.gif

@Work=wins ,

I'm curious. @Mudders Brudder has provided his descriptions of the two swings above, and has stated that he prefers the second, more recent, swing. I agree.

Swing 1 -- To me it looks like she is swinging down and hitting the ball out front. I know those terms mean different things to you than they do to me, but that is what I see. This first swing is very reminiscent of my own daughter's swing when she was 15/16 years old. It's still a good swing, but I would be concerned about it's scalability as she gets older. I know as my daughter started to face better pitching, she realized that she had to make some minor adjustments.

Swing 2 -- I see this as an improvement. Honestly, I think it is a really nice swing. It includes, in my words, a barrel that is getting behind the ball with a deeper contact point. She does a good job of keeping her weight back. More specifically, the weight above her waist. This swing is as good, or better, than many of the girls that play for DD's college team. Both swings are good, but swing 2 is better, in my opinion.

@Work=wins -- out of these two swings, which swing do you prefer, and why? The answers may better explain the differences between our philosophies.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
@Work=wins ,

I'm curious. @Mudders Brudder has provided his descriptions of the two swings above, and has stated that he prefers the second, more recent, swing. I agree.

Swing 1 -- To me it looks like she is swinging down and hitting the ball out front. I know those terms mean different things to you than they do to me, but that is what I see. This first swing is very reminiscent of my own daughter's swing when she was 15/16 years old. It's still a good swing, but I would be concerned about it's scalability as she gets older. I know as my daughter started to face better pitching, she realized that she had to make some minor adjustments.

Swing 2 -- I see this as an improvement. Honestly, I think it is a really nice swing. It includes, in my words, a barrel that is getting behind the ball with a deeper contact point. She does a good job of keeping her weight back. More specifically, the weight above her waist. This swing is as good, or better, than many of the girls that play for DD's college team. Both swings are good, but swing 2 is better, in my opinion.

@Work=wins -- out of these two swings, which swing do you prefer, and why? The answers may better explain the differences between our philosophies.

so just so we have a bit more context. dd has been swinging down since she was 2nd yr 18s. I believe this clips are from 18s And college. In the first clip notice she’s toeing the line hitting an inside pitch and the second she’s hitting an outside pitch. As I’m sure you know, the barrel will be steeper on the inside due to a ‘longer’ swing and the outside pitch will have a much shorter swing and shallower angle due to the earlier release.

the baseline mechanics are the same. We haven’t changed anything In awhile.

heres a swing from the cages as well, from a 4-5 days ago. she’s on her front side again. Hopefully this explains why you see the ‘extra‘ angles in the machine clips. She is just really putting everything into it imo. There are no variables in the cage. She can just tee off. she truly just tries to disintegrate the ball in there. There is usually an audience around the cages etc. etc.

it won’t seem to load, I’ll make another and post.

edit: @FP26 this is an inside pitch even though she’s middle of the box. machine has a mind of its own. This extra ‘oomph’ is just from a lack of variability Imo.

1627225109418.gif

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
so just so we have a bit more context. dd has been swinging down since she was 2nd yr 18s. I believe this clips are from 18s And college. In the first clip notice she’s toeing the line hitting an inside pitch and the second she’s hitting an outside pitch. As I’m sure you know, the barrel will be steeper on the inside due to a ‘longer’ swing and the outside pitch will have a much shorter swing and shallower angle due to the earlier release.

the baseline mechanics are the same. We haven’t changed anything In awhile.

heres a swing from the cages as well, from a 4-5 days ago. she’s on her front side again. Hopefully this explains why you see the ‘extra‘ angles in the machine clips. She is just really putting everything into it imo. There are no variables in the cage. She can just tee off. she truly just tries to disintegrate the ball in there. There is usually an audience around the cages etc. etc.

it won’t seem to load, I’ll make another and post.

Glad to see you/she are happy with the progress. As I stated, the current swing contains the things I look for. Seems odd since our patterns are so incompatible...

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Glad to see you/she are happy with the progress. As I stated, the current swing contains the things I look for. Seems odd since our patterns are so incompatible...

I think the biggest difference is different engines? I really want core driven movements. do you like an active driving rear leg/hip? I do not.

Reactions: TDS

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00