Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
be my guest.
Thank you Ww.

So here's one of the earlier swings posted at the site, where I feel/felt she was pushing forward to a position in order to be able to then "swing down" to or at the ball....
xTVatby.gif
mH9ou5C.gif

From there the barrel path is "down to" the ball, and doesn't start to turn up until at or just after contact. NOTE: Just how I'm seeing it, I'm sure others will see it differently, and I'm OK with that.

Then later (I think a year or so, the clip says "Spring 2020") this one was posted where she stays back and...
aiWtIUD.gif
ybrb2Hu.gif

....the BGT "behind and through" the ball at the pause(s). Much earlier and deeper in the zone, with the rear hip pulling the barrel into and through the zone.....vs the top one, where to me it looks more like the hands are ahead of the rear hip, with the shoulders and arms doing the moving of the bat/barrel to the ball.

Ww, thanks for letting me use those clips to try to help explain my vision, or opinion of what the different swing cues mean, and how I've found young hitters apply them.

There are actually two other Youtube videos of your DD in the "Spring 2020" post you made that I also like very much if not more so than the one just above (which is still really nice), but sadly, for whatever reason(s), I couldn't get them to convert from YT to .mp4, so I was unable to make gifs out of them...if you remember which one's I'm referring to from back then when I posted over there back in Apr 2020...
Thanks for the update [Ww], I think she's doing great!

Also, not to pretend to be holier than anyone...I have to admit that I was just as guilty as anyone of being hypercritical of the earlier videos, or the exact same thing I said was the downfall of this place. My public apologies for doing so, and being "that guy".

We can/should have discussions, and disagreements of how or what one teaches, or the specific words or terminologies words they use, but what shouldn't be done...is to let one's ego get in the way of assisting others in their work [with] their students/children. Be a help, not a distraction or a hinderance....I'm saying that to myself (and anyone else who cares to be reminded every now and again).

Keep up the good work [Ww], you're DD is doing quite well under your guidance. As good, if not better than anyone else here could have done with her.
t2043.gif
...that still applies here now. Nicely done. 👏🏽👍🏽

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
"swing down" is what some use to refer to hand path. I use "direct" for hand path.

Is "to and through" what you would call barrel path?

Also, you and several others talk about "out front". How do you define "out front"? Let's use the Bonds clip below. Personally, I consider this a deep contact point. How does "out front" differ to this? To me, "out front" implies shifting weight to the front foot early or lunging.

m8ftpzf.gif

to and through Is the hands and barrel. Get the hands to and keep the barrel through. I rarely speak of barrel path. I believe the hands dictate what the barrel does for the most part.

out front to me can mean a few things, but not lunging. it means releasing the barrel through the ball. Not holding onto an angle and forcing it oppo etc etc. I don’t want to back the ball up in advantageous counts.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
to and through Is the hands and barrel. Get the hands to and keep the barrel through. I rarely speak of barrel path. I believe the hands dictate what the barrel does for the most part.

out front to me can mean a few things, but not lunging. it means releasing the barrel through the ball. Not holding onto an angle and forcing it oppo etc etc. I don’t want to back the ball up in advantageous counts.

Understood. Without the explanation, many of these cues are just vague (including my own). DD's college coach will often say "out front" but then follows it up with "stay back". Unfortunately, she doesn't explain either, she just barks the cues. The players end up confused.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thank you Ww.

So here's one of the earlier swings posted at the site, where I feel/felt she was pushing forward to a position in order to be able to then "swing down" to or at the ball....
xTVatby.gif
mH9ou5C.gif

From there the barrel path is "down to" the ball, and doesn't start to turn up until at or just after contact. NOTE: Just how I'm seeing it, I'm sure others will see it differently, and I'm OK with that.

Then later (I think a year or so, the clip says "Spring 2020") this one was posted where she stays back and...
aiWtIUD.gif
ybrb2Hu.gif

....the BGT "behind and through" the ball at the pause(s). Much earlier and deeper in the zone, with the rear hip pulling the barrel into and through the zone.....vs the top one, where to me it looks more like the hands are ahead of the rear hip, with the shoulders and arms doing the moving of the bat/barrel to the ball.

Ww, thanks for letting me use those clips to try to help explain my vision, or opinion of what the different swing cues mean, and how I've found young hitters apply them.

There are actually two other Youtube videos of your DD in the "Spring 2020" post you made that I also like very much if not more so than the one just above (which is still really nice), but sadly, for whatever reason(s), I couldn't get them to convert from YT to .mp4, so I was unable to make gifs out of them...if you remember which one's I'm referring to from back then when I posted over there back in Apr 2020...

...that still applies here now. Nicely done. 👏🏽👍🏽

I really don’t like using machine swing clips anymore. I find my dd gets used to a grooved speed and starts to really unleash her swing. creating a steeper path than I would like.

the swing underneath we were working on front toss from very close to make her work on her hitting position. she doesn’t know what’s coming or at what speed or location so she must be more ‘game’ mode so to speak.

as far as machine work, I started using the 80mph cage which worked for a time. But now she just grooves it and gets a bit steep sometimes. So front toss from close at the field is the only way for me to get as game like as possible.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
@Mudders Brudder

heres what I have as most recently videoed.

in and out

1627170840263.gif

1627170970901.gif

these are more representative of where she’s at. But her hand set changes from time to time. I think we’re going out this afternoon to hit at the field. If so I’ll grab some vid and post.

Reactions: TDS
Jun 8, 2016
I can’t recall. She usually smiles when she hits it well off me. Im never beyond 15-18 ft. I truly try to get her out or make her look foolish.
Well the way she was smiling you were not making her look too foolish...lol. Good to see her having fun!!

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
If the rear leg isn’t in control when you swing down, all your weight will go to the front leg. You can’t keep the weight back and have a downward swing out front without the weight coming forward.

Just hit a ball to see for yourself.

Yep, and this is exactly why folks struggle with the "down to".. The rear leg/hip is important but not the driver/engine of the swing. Glad we are finally getting down to the differences in patterns and why folks struggle with the "down to"..

Steep barrel path with the rear leg/hip as the driver.

QIHL4l1.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad