Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Ww I give credit to for posting his DDs swing (maybe not here but elsewhere), and if he'd allow me, I'd like to repost two of them to show how I see a difference of a "swing down" path in one of them, and then a later BGT "behind and through" the ball in the other.

If not, that's fine also...but either way, I think he's done a fine job in the last swings I saw of her at the other site, and regardless of method, she has/had a nice swing last time I saw it. 👍🏽
He has his moments.. :)

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Again Rear leg/hip as a primary driver isn't compatible with swinging "down to" due to the steep barrel path..

If the rear leg isn’t in control when you swing down, all your weight will go to the front leg. You can’t keep the weight back and have a downward swing out front without the weight coming forward.

Just hit a ball to see for yourself.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Ww I give credit to for posting his DDs swing (maybe not here but elsewhere), and if he'd allow me, I'd like to repost two of them to show how I see a difference of a "swing down" path in one of them, and then a later BGT "behind and through" the ball in the other.

If not, that's fine also...but either way, I think he's done a fine job in the last swings I saw of her at the other site, and regardless of method, she has/had a nice swing last time I saw it. 👍🏽

be my guest.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I'm really not too sure where @Shawn stands in that regard, to be honest. I will allow him to comment on his own beliefs. In my opinion the first thing that needs to happen is that the hitter needs to get to the launch position fully stretched. You can refer to it as slack removal if you want. When it is time to launch, the lower and the upper work together because they are linked by the stretch. This includes multiple muscles from the upper legs up through the core into the upper back. I discussed it somewhat in the post below.

The back leg is a driver because the coil starts against it or the hips around the back leg. Then as the back leg starts by simply triggering the hands and tilt, the back leg pulls as the stretch is maxed out. You have the barrel going one way as the lowerbody goes the other way. Simple change of direction.

It’s explained in many books and videos.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If the rear leg isn’t in control when you swing down, all your weight will go to the front leg. You can’t keep the weight back and have a downward swing out front without the weight coming forward.

Just hit a ball to see for yourself.

this isn’t true. Core stretch controls the move forward w support from the legs.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
to and through. Down is bc of location of ball and hands. Take the loop out. Be direct.

"swing down" is what some use to refer to hand path. I use "direct" for hand path.

Is "to and through" what you would call barrel path?

Also, you and several others talk about "out front". How do you define "out front"? Let's use the Bonds clip below. Personally, I consider this a deep contact point. How does "out front" differ to this? To me, "out front" implies shifting weight to the front foot early or lunging.

m8ftpzf.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28