Strike Zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Oh, it is entirely possible for an umpire to be an incompetent plate umpire. I was there, the rest of you weren't. I'll stick with my judgement of him. And as I have stated, I'm generally quite mellow when it comes to questioning umpires.

Okay, it's a matter of perspective, then. Having a questionable strike zone does not an incompetent umpire make, IMHO. I've seen many otherwise good umps that didn't give certain parts of the plate as far as I could tell. I didn't think they were very good, but incompetent is too strong of a word to use for an ump whose strike zone I don't agree with. Like I said earlier, I have seen incompetent umps, but the strike zone was the least of their problems.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
ASA 4-8-C. Any arguing on the judgement of balls and strikes will result in a team warning. Effect, Any repeat offense shall result in the ejection of that team member.

Of course, the rule is entirely subjective.

Never mind that I had an ump try to explain to me that the reason she wasn't calling the outside corner was because she wanted at least half the ball going over the plate. But hey, at least I didn't get 86'd from the complex.

Jun 22, 2008
Quietly approaching an umpire between innings and asking where a pitcher is missing is one thing. Yelling out from a dugout where a pitch may have missed is not asking anything. It is an attempt to show up the umpire and is arguing balls and strikes.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Quietly approaching an umpire between innings and asking where a pitcher is missing is one thing. Yelling out from a dugout where a pitch may have missed is not asking anything. It is an attempt to show up the umpire and is arguing balls and strikes.
Or it could just be a legitimate question asked by the guy calling the pitches. Tone will probably dictate the difference, and there is nothing wrong with asking for that information during the inning.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

Agreed and how it should be done. I've found that most good umpires work with coaches and players are not super sensitive and do an exceptional job. However, the bad, at times are real bad and some abuse their power.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
ASA 4-8-C. Any arguing on the judgement of balls and strikes will result in a team warning. Effect, Any repeat offense shall result in the ejection of that team member.

Comp, My asking, "Were was it, Blue?" could hardly be arguing. It's the only think I said to him the entire game. I certainly hope you don't think asking such a question once in a game is "arguing."

Jun 22, 2008
Comp, My asking, "Were was it, Blue?" could hardly be arguing. It's the only think I said to him the entire game. I certainly hope you don't think asking such a question once in a game is "arguing."

Again, approaching me between innings and asking quietly is one thing, yelling it from the dugout it is not a question.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Again, approaching me between innings and asking quietly is one thing, yelling it from the dugout it is not a question.

Actually, it is a question, regardless of where it was asked from or how loudly it was asked.

Don't make me kick dirt onto the plate, Comp. ;)

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
I always made sure my catcher asked the umpire where a pitch was missing. A coach doing this is silly. It's the catchers job to make strikes happen, and convey her view of the strike zone to the pitcher.

-W

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Sorry, starsnuffer, the coach asking once in a while is helpful, especially if he's calling the pitches. Kinda helps in pitch location selection, don't ya think?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle