Strike Zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
I believe I have the right to ask.

When it comes to the strike zone and calling of balls and strikes, by rule you do not have the right. Arguing balls and strikes is expressly forbidden by the rules.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
SCDad,

I didn't waste much energy on it. Given there wasn't a single inside corner strike called, toward the end of the game when our pitcher threw a pitch we thought was a strike (inside corner), I simply asked, "Were was it, Blue?" That isn't that much "chirping" and it certainly isn't wasting a lot of energy. What bothered me was his lie that it was "four-inches inside." Well, I'll tell you what, it wasn't anything close to 4-inches inside! If he'd said 1-inch inside, I might have believed him.

Going into this game, we'd played 7 fall league games and I had not once asked the umpire about his strike zone. While it may be a waste of time generally, I think a coach should once in awhile (when the incompetence is obvious) to ask. If an umpire purposely tightens up the strike zone as a punishment, I don't think he/she should be umping.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Is asking the umpire where it was once in the game forbidden? If so, where?

There is nothing that prevents you, or anyone else, from asking the umpire where a particular pitch was. However, I would recommend that if you have an issue, instruct your catcher to be the one asking him/her.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Earlier in the game we had the catcher ask the umpire, but she got an answer similar to what I got. Both the pitcher and catcher were frustrated when I asked him where it was. We simply gave up on giving the inside pitch signal in the remaining two games we had with him. Funny thing was the next two teams we played had to learn it and did themselves bark some.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Earlier in the game we had the catcher ask the umpire, but she got an answer similar to what I got. Both the pitcher and catcher were frustrated when I asked him where it was. We simply gave up on giving the inside pitch signal in the remaining two games we had with him. Funny thing was the next two teams we played had to learn it and did themselves bark some.

If that was the only issue, then I don't think I'd call him incompetent.

The strike zone may be a specifically defined entity, but that does not mean it is an objective one. Try as you might, you will never find 2 umps that call it the same way. Your job is to help your battery figure out the zone of a particular ump and proceed from there. Some umps will be inconsistent and they're the bad ones. Not incompetent, just bad. But as you alluded to, usually both teams have to suffer through the same inconsistencies, so it all seems to balance out in the end. My philosophy is simple. Never put the games in the hands of the umpire. If you're batting with a questionable ump, swing the bat. If your pitching with one, serve it up and play good defense.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
image.jpg
This was called a strike by the umpire. She was consistent on calling this a strike, she even called one that went over a girls head. She had no bigness umpiring in my opinion.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Oh, it is entirely possible for an umpire to be an incompetent plate umpire. I was there, the rest of you weren't. I'll stick with my judgement of him. And as I have stated, I'm generally quite mellow when it comes to questioning umpires.

Jun 22, 2008
ASA 4-8-C. Any arguing on the judgement of balls and strikes will result in a team warning. Effect, Any repeat offense shall result in the ejection of that team member.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle