Strawberries from the dirt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My DD got them on her knees and hip bones from diving as well. She's never going to be a leg model. :) Wet tea bags placed on the torn skin helps take the sting out and promotes healing. After she sits for awhile with the wet tea bags and takes them off, cover the area with Neosporin and a bandage. It's a trick my DD gymnastics instructor gave her for rips on her hands from the bars.

Last year, the grounds folks at her high school must have gotten a bad load of dirt. It had gravel in it. It tore through her sliders and pants. There were a lot of girls walking around with some major cuts and road rash. Fortunately, it's better this year.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Road Rash Care Guide - How to Treat and Prevent Scars

I always look to the mountain bikers around here when I have a question about road rash - they know their stuff and are an incredibly passionate group. The above linked thread has fantastic information regarding prevention and care. My DD has used the bandages that stick directly to the skin - I'm sorry I can't reacall the brand name but it is about a 3x2 inch rectangle of what basically looks like artificial skin - you stick the entire thing to the scrape.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Road Rash Care Guide - How to Treat and Prevent Scars

I always look to the mountain bikers around here when I have a question about road rash - they know their stuff and are an incredibly passionate group. The above linked thread has fantastic information regarding prevention and care. My DD has used the bandages that stick directly to the skin - I'm sorry I can't reacall the brand name but it is about a 3x2 inch rectangle of what basically looks like artificial skin - you stick the entire thing to the scrape.

I spent 10+ years racing bicycles - road and mountain. In that time, I lost a LOT of skin, and to this day (10 years after I stopped racing) both my shoulders have significant patches where the freckles were scraped off. It's just the nature of the game I played. In my experience, keeping wounds clean, slathered in Neosporin, and covered is the fastest way to heal. Tegaderm stuff is great, but expensive. I never used the artificial skin stuff, but I know plenty of people who did with success.

Jun 24, 2013
I once played on an infield that the P&R dept had put down crushed brick. Yes the little red bricks crushed up into little pieces! Ans some of them weren't such little pieces! You want to talk about road rash. And my knuckleheaded self couldn't not slide or dive for the balls. I went home pretty sore that night! I don't know if they were going to come back out and cover it with sand/dirt thinking it might help the drainage problem, or what they were thinking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing