Strawberries from the dirt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
DD is the master of getting major strawberries (scrapes from sliding/slamming into dirt from base running, diving for ball, stopping ball, whatever...)...she gets them on her elbows, knees...and now has a nice one on her hip bone (I did not see this happen but I was like "huh??"). The one on her *right* hip bone is giving her fits...the elastic/waistband of pants/sliders sit/rub right on it...and she is a RHP. So...it definitely affects her curve. :rolleyes: Anyone have suggestions on quick healing of this? We put neosporin on it and she's been trying to let it dry out...but she still has to put bandage on it because it rubs waistband/elastic of pants/shorts/whatever...

And I didn't know where to put this...there isn't a "health" forum...

Jun 22, 2008
My mom recently fell and took a big chunk of skin off her elbow. For years I had always heard you needed to let the injury dry out and scab over to heal properly. Her doctor who also happens to be my nephew looked at it and told us to keep it covered with a bandage and keep it moist with neosporin, said it would heal twice as fast covered as without.

Also, I dont remember the name of it, but my daughters high school trainer had some material that was white and came in a wide roll. You could cut the stuff to size and put it over areas that were prone to get scraped up during the game and it acted as a 2nd layer of skin to help keep from getting torn up. You see it on players elbows sometimes in pro football games.

Aug 14, 2011
I think Neosporin is a good option. My daughter has had, almost nonstop, a good strawberry on her left hip since she was about 14. It heals in the off-season and then during season, she manages to bust it back open and there it stays almost all season. We've tried a lot of things and Neosporin seems to be the best. She has a nice good permanent scar there that's for sure.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
What the heck kind of infields are these girls playing on? Back when the infields were manicured and we wore shorts, we rarely saw a strawberry. Those that did get one, had just slid incorrectly.

Are the girls wearing compression pants, with pads, under their pants?

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
What the heck kind of infields are these girls playing on? Back when the infields were manicured and we wore shorts, we rarely saw a strawberry. Those that did get one, had just slid incorrectly.

Are the girls wearing compression pants, with pads, under their pants?

DD wears sliders under her pants for protection...and her pants are the really high quality kind. Probably crappy dirt...and the ground is super, rock hard due to lack of rain. Plus, she goes all out in her dives for the ball...she will be the dirtiest one coming home from practice/tournament. :)

Jul 6, 2013
Depending on how bad it is, boudreaux's butt paste works wonders in 24 hours on raw, chaffed, tore up skin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing