State Athletic Association and Transfers: Ever dealt with something like this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My DD's jacket was used for every activity that she was in. She didn't receive her softball letter until varsity. But, her freshman awards are documented on the jacket, like Golden Glove.

The jacket itself came with the school logo on it, so it wasn't so bare and then, everything like band, drum line, etc. had a patch you could buy.

The thing that I found odd was that, even though we were in Flagstaff, AZ. the jacket was too heavy and hot to ever wear. Plus, the HS kids refused to wear anything heavier than a hoody. It is brand new and hangs in my closet.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
school associations - Here is a player that moved to another state and is now ineligible.

The Arizona Wildcats quarterback of the future may not play football this year.

Texas high school officials ruled Daxx Garman ineligible for the season on Friday, hours before his Southlake Carroll team was to open its season against Copperas Cove.

The District 7-5A executive committee cited residency issues in its decision to suspend Garman, the Dallas Morning News reported. Garman and his family moved from Oklahoma to Southlake in the spring and Daxx enrolled at Carroll.

A Dallas/Fort Worth television station reported this week that Garman's family had yet to put its Oklahoma home on the market, putting Garman's residency into question. Rules prohibit players from transferring specifically because of sports.

Read more: UA quarterback recruit Daxx Garman ineligible to play at Texas high school

May 25, 2010
A Dallas/Fort Worth television station reported this week that Garman's family had yet to put its Oklahoma home on the market, putting Garman's residency into question. Rules prohibit players from transferring specifically because of sports.

How is it anyone's business what the family is choosing to do with their home??

I wouldn't sell a house in this economic climate either!

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
And what difference would it make if they have a two homes and decide to live in the other one? I wouldn't want to sell a house right now either.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Can you believe it? We own a home in Flagstaff, that hasn't sold.

So, the couple could have a for sale sign out in front of the house and a ridiculous price on it and he would have been eligible?

I can't imagine that this rule in TX. could be constitutional. Many people own multiple homes.

We have had a phenomenal house on the market in the town where we live for THREE years!!! No astronomical price-tag, either - $80k (nearly 3k sq ft of living). Those folks are smart to NOT list their house. Who knows? They could be renting it out or something? That is just insanity that they are telling the child, who has moved an entire state away with his family, that he cannot play ball. Give me a break!

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Can you believe it? We own a home in Flagstaff, that hasn't sold.

So, the couple could have a for sale sign out in front of the house and a ridiculous price on it and he would have been eligible?

I can't imagine that this rule in TX. could be constitutional. Many people own multiple homes.

That is just crazy! That ruling probably should be challenged on constitutional law. By the time its done though...the kid will have moved on in life...and they would of effectively punished him. The more i have read on this eligibility and state athletic associations power..the crazier it gets. The judicial reviews and rulings... even involving the constitution seem strange to me. To know that they can judge your intent and penalize you because you didn't do something (put house up for sell) with your own property is just ridiculous.

Oct 19, 2009
Most of the rules seemed to be to keep the kids or parents from doing wrong, there seems to be few if any rules to keep coaches or teachers from doing wrong or miss treating a kid.

I talked to a dad who’s son just switched schools because when he told the football coach he was not playing football the football coach advised him he had better not find out he was playing fall baseball. The baseball coach then called the kid’s dad and asked if he would have the son reconsider playing football. The dad got angry and switched the kid to a different school to avoid the conflict. He is fighting the rule on setting out or playing B team for a year after switching schools claiming he was concerned the son would have a conflict between the coaches and his son in school.

Oct 19, 2009
I have a friend and his daughter who are going through the same thing. To make a long story short she tried out for the SB team was cut, the parents had intended for her to play on a fall travel team and stay in the same school. Later people came to the parents and advised that the coach had told people in the sports community, long before try outs that the kid was banned from any sports team at that school, because of the parents. This was told to coaches at opposing schools and a sports writer, the parents did not hear it in person from the coach, but were told from a number of sources . The kid a straight A student no disciplinary problems of any kind.

The parents are good people were confused and concerned that this could effect the child in the class room as well and at the request of the child changed schools because she wanted to play for a school team. Also concern of a problem in the class room due to a facility member/coach saying they had a problem with parents. The child had made B team in past years, but never played varsity.

She moved to a school out of the district, private school, and was put on B team, due to the rule. She played the first game for the new school B team pitched a perfect game5 innings due to run rule, struck out 12, 4 for 4 at the plate. The new school is trying to get the player on varsity and the parents are letting the new school handle it.

Two surrounding schools tried to recruit her to play for them when she was in middle school, but she wanted to play with her friends and stayed at this school. Yes her parents know it is a violation to recruit a player, I know it happen once because I was with the parent when it happen, she ia a junior now.

Just wanted to update everyone. My friend,s daughter won the hardship case and is know on the varsity at her new school, she got the letter today. They based their appeal on negative comments by the coach causing problems in the class room at the old school. She is a great kid and deserves the chance to play.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Just wanted to update everyone. My friend,s daughter won the hardship case and is know on the varsity at her new school, she got the letter today. They based their appeal on negative comments by the coach causing problems in the class room at the old school. She is a great kid and deserves the chance to play.

Good deal Peppers! Glad for her. Our hearing is next Tuesday...ready for an answer one way or the other!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207