State Athletic Association and Transfers: Ever dealt with something like this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I was working out of town during last week and this weekend and got a call from my dd and wife.

My wife works at a school district other than the one we live in. My dd has always gone to school there. During the last school year we transferred our dd ….to the district we have always lived in (that was January 2010)……..as the wife was actively seeking other teaching jobs this summer and would of taken one if she had gotten the offer.

So 4 weeks ago…..there was a 1 week tryout for HS softball. My dd made varsity as a sophomore. She is/was competing for pitcher. Then 3 weeks of practice and games start tomorrow (Monday)….and here is what happened.

The state athletic association denied eligibility for my dd to play softball this year…that was on Thursday…The old school immediately sent a form stating that she didn’t leave because of sports…so Friday they told her she was eligible for JV but not varsity.

I have now read the rules …what I can find and here is what they say.

If you transfer schools, you will be ineligible for 365 days, unless you meet one of the exceptions listed in the State HS Residence and Transfer Rules. Several, but not all, are described below.
* Exception 1: If you move with your parents to your new school district, you will be eligible at your new school provided you were eligible in all other respects at your former school and provided there are no other issues with the transfer. You and your parents must move to the new residence at the same time.
* Exception 2: A student may be eligible immediately at the school of his or her choice upon first being promoted from the eighth grade into the ninth grade, provided the student is eligible in all other respects.
* Exception 9: Waiver
-When no other exemptions fit, but student is eligible in all other respects.
-Both schools agree and there are no other issues.
-Provides JV eligibility in sports played last year and full eligibility in sports not played last year.
* Exception 10: Foreign Exchange Students are eligible for varsity competition for one year only and only if they are seniors (semester 7 or 8), provided they are participating in an exchange program listed by CSIET. However, no member of the school's coaching staff for the sport concerned may serve as a host family.

What they have done is throw it under number 9. I don’t get it….the rules are for stopping problems with recruiting high school athletes and transfers motivated by athletics. Neither scenario occurred here.

What really gets me is that if we lived in that other school district and moved to the one we live in and have always lived in…there would be no problem.

It never crossed our mind in January that this would occur. It was not mentioned by coaches, athletic director or school until now.

If you are not familiar with this…if you ever transfer your dd….you might make a note.

Now…she would of transferred anyway but she wouldn’t of set her goal to make varsity and gone through all of this disappointment drama.

Has anyone ever had experience with this type of situation? Does anyone know what those other exemptions are? I will be talking to both athletic director and the state tomorrow.

Jun 16, 2010
Pretty typical. Varies slightly by state though.

Not to jump on you but you really should have known the rules ahead of time. Restrictions are common, very well known, and are there to prevent schools from recruiting athletes.

Now unfortunately, it doesnt work that well anyway. Good athletes that are college bound will find a way to go to schools with strongest programs.

Im surprised they ever let her go to school out of her district in the first place. Thats virtually impossible in some areas.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Virtually impossible in some areas? Crazy. I know kids who live out of district and pay tuition to attend our shitty public HS, because the ones in their areas aren't much better.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It is not unusual to go to school in the district that a parent teaches in. But it is common for associations to have goofy rules.

So, if you and your wife would have been separated, and got back together, your DD still couldn't play varsity?

Good luck, I hope you can get this reversed.

Are both public schools? We (private school) have had athletes transfer in from public school - eligible to play - instead of going straight to another public school - not eligible to play. After a year with us, they'll go on their merry way to play for the other school of their choice.

Folks here can transfer (public) for various reasons and still be athletically eligible. Local hs here has no softball or golf programs. We could go to an adjoining town with a public school and the children could play. Going 30 miles down the road to an even better public school than adjoining town would cost, I think, like $500/yr for "out of district" cost, but they'd still be able to play. If one public school has a low state rating, you can transfer your child to another school in the area with a better rating and eligibility would not come into question there, I don't believe.

Since our school is small and "all in one", I'm not well-versed on "JV" and "V", but I would venture to guess that JV should be 7th and 8th, possibly 9th, and Varsity would (or should) be 10th, 11th and 12th, right? Why in the world would a sophomore be eligible to play in a much younger age group and not her own? I would think they would say "all or nothing". Jeez...curious now to see what the AD and state have to say! Hope you post an update!!!

That is a sad situation for your daughter. Someone should have informed you about the rule prior to her having to go through the grueling tryout process.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Holly, JV is generally freshman and sophomores. I hear about states that let middle schoolers play, but that is rare. The states that I lived in have 2 separate associations.

Some schools have a freshman team, JV and varsity.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I definitely should of known these rules before hand AND someone should of brought them to my attention long ago if there was going to be a problem. When we went through the process in January, we told them she wanted to play softball too...when we left we thought we were done. Since then we have gone to coaches meetings, sports registration, tryouts and practices ...and this just now comes up.

She went from a public country school to a larger public school. The larger school has more seniors than the country school has students (kind-12th).

It is very normal for teachers kids to go to school where they teach....especially when they are young. Simply the convenience of having your child right there with you is great...we experienced an older child going 20 miles away when she was little and that was nerve racking.

JV is freshman and sophomore, maybe some juniors too… varsity is mostly seniors and some juniors.

Not sure if we had of been separated... how that would of played out. Interesting question...i may bring that scenario up.

Will update when i know something more...the AD gets the pleasure of dealing with me first thing this morning

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The rules sound pretty draconian. Remember, though, that the rules were written because of the abuse by football and basketball programs.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
In my state (VA), JV is 8th grade, freshman, and sophomores. Varsity is juniors and seniors, but of course the freshman and sophomores are eligible to play and will play Varsity if needed.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
We are currently going through this.
We are forced to stay at a school my DD hates because she will be ineligible for softball during this year as a junior.
If we take the transfer she can play JV but not Varsity.
Our tax dollars at work.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207