Stat guys--info needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
I'd like to get some actual data on what percentage of time a runner on third scores with zero, one, or two outs. Also would like to know the same about 2 runners when both are in scoring position.

Since it varies, I'd like numbers from 12u teams. If you could also indicate your pitchers' K/BB ratio and what level you play (WSQ's, All Star, etc) that would be helpful. There are a zillion other variables, but this will be a good start and give me a decent picture.

I'm trying to see if data supports or refutes 'defensive indifference' when a team holds a runner on third base and allows another runner to move into scoring position. My theory is that BOTH runners will score pretty often with zero or one outs, but that runner on third will almost always score with zero or one outs. I think in many cases it would make sense for my team to NOT allow a second RISP even though this concedes a run who will almost always score anyway. Our K/BB is 3:1, but pitchers only walk 0-2 and K 4-5 per game.

Some actual data would be quite helpful. I don't currently have any data but will start tracking this.

Thanks for any help.
VW

Oct 21, 2009
When in doubt take the out.
Sorry I don't have stats but I tend to agree. Particularly early in the game with 0 out and a runner on third I will concede the run and position the middle IF back and take the out at 1B. With a walk or runner at 1B and a slower runner I wll take the out at 2B on a steal and possibly concede the runner at 3B.
THere are exceptions: close game, late in the game, facing a pitcher where 1 run is all that is needed to win, or at the bottom of the lineup on a weak hitting team.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Well, it all comes down to pitching and coaching. Saturday, we had the leadoff get on base with a double.
batter 2 sacrificed her to 3rd. Batter # 3 walks. Batter # 4 is a K and #5 grounds back to pitcher.
Threat is over. Same game we are up 2-0, leadoff walks, steals 2B takes 3rd on a passed ball.
Next batter is K, then comes a squeeze, batter lays bunt down 1B line, 1B fields the ball, fakes
throw to 1B runner is halfway to home, starts to go back, ball is thrown to 3B who is shadowing runner,
easy tag for 2nd out. This stat is almost impossible to track. Had we been up by more runs, we might
concede the run for the out. If we have our #3 pitcher in as opposed to #1, we play defense differently.
thus the reason we do not keep this stat. IMHO it is meaningless. We are playing 'A' travel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321