Start of 1st year 12u season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Thought this observation I had with my DD might help some of your players/DD. It might be a obvious thing to some, but I thought it would help.

Stance setup can play a big part in how your players get in sequence IMO. Stance setup below may seem subtle, but there is a big enough difference to effect sequence (Granted 1 is a tee swing, the other toss). The one on the left the rear leg/hip is not stabilized but has to get stabilized 1st in sequence. The one on the right, the rear leg/hip is already stabilized for her to work against. if that makes sense. Plus it effects the way the upper half works as well. IMO She tends to have very improved sequence by pre-stabilizing the rear leg/hip
View attachment 26034View attachment 26035

Top clip

YKLaUg6.gif

The top clip looks like she is using the lead leg up front to move out (which is good). The bottom clip she appears to be using the rear leg/hip to control the move out. This will prevent her from getting leveraged fyb.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Top clip

YKLaUg6.gif

The top clip looks like she is using the lead leg up front to move out (which is good). The bottom clip she appears to be using the rear leg/hip to control the move out. This will prevent her from getting leveraged fyb.
Thanks for the reply. So just curious, is it sequence or something else that allows one to get "Fyb"?

Oct 2, 2017
It's the sequence of flowing movements.
Ok, great. I agree. So based on my post which is primarily concerning a way to possibly help a player get into and flow through better sequence of movements, why would one allow vs the other the player to get "Fyb". Granted I know you stated "Appears"

Aug 20, 2017
Pre stabilizing the rear hip/leg/knee IMO will help prevent rearward movement of the rear hip over the rear knee. Combine that with some upper coil during the move out (will prevent lunging) and you should have good sequence. I don’t like launching the swing with the rear hip over the rear knee. I’ve coached many players that are way stronger than my dd. But they have been taught to load by leaning back over the rear leg, then stride. Timing is all out whack for these hitters. They don’t know when to get off the backside. Ball gets on them. Or, knowing they are late, they will load and blast forward causing the upper to unwind ahead of the lower. Neither are good. Like the way you are working Clem! Blend some of the movement of HLP with some the movements that TDS and Work suggest and you will be well on your way to developing a strong hitter.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Ok, great. I agree. So based on my post which is primarily concerning a way to possibly help a player get into and flow through better sequence of movements, why would one allow vs the other the player to get "Fyb". Granted I know you stated "Appears"

My point is don't force a segment out of sequence.. Allow the segment to be part of the natural flow into fyb.. Of course if one is referring to the HLP pattern then FYB doesn't matter.

Oct 2, 2017
Pre stabilizing the rear hip/leg/knee IMO will help prevent rearward movement of the rear hip over the rear knee. Combine that with some upper coil during the move out (will prevent lunging) and you should have good sequence. I don’t like launching the swing with the rear hip over the rear knee. I’ve coached many players that are way stronger than my dd. But they have been taught to load by leaning back over the rear leg, then stride. Timing is all out whack for these hitters. They don’t know when to get off the backside. Ball gets on them. Or, knowing they are late, they will load and blast forward causing the upper to unwind ahead of the lower. Neither are good. Like the way you are working Clem! Blend some of the movement of HLP with some the movements that TDS and Work suggest and you will be well on your way to developing a strong hitter.
I agree, every player is different though, based age, experience and athleticism and movement. Some players may not have a issue with stabilizing the rear leg/hip as part of their sequence. They can get it to occur 1st and load rest after in sequence. Others may not be able to do so naturally, and need to Pre-stabilize the rear leg/hip so that its already done 1st, therefore allowing them to naturally load the rest in sequence. IMO

Oct 2, 2017
My point is don't force a segment out of sequence.. Allow the segment to be part of the natural flow into fyb.. Of course if one is referring to the HLP pattern then FYB doesn't matter.
What I suggested is not forcing anything out of sequence and natural flow of movements. This needs to be done per player basis and how that player moves. If stabilizing the rear leg/hip is to occur 1st in sequence, the pre-setting vs not pre-setting is not forcing anything. It simply simplifying the process for the player. To allow them to flow naturally. I think that's what you would call UFA

Reactions: TDS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06