spiteful umpires?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
... My asst coach then proceeds to go nuts on him.

Girls that were best friends are calling each other b@#$!es and are ready to fight and quit the team.

Pretty eventful day. ...

Spiteful umpires, assistants who go off on umpires, and teammates who call each other bitches.

I don't think there are good excuses for any of it.

May 18, 2009
I've never seen an ump take it that far. I've seen the strike zone shrink for us and with their pitcher it expanded. It's happened a couple times in ten years. We currently are in a tournament where one of our teams is facing that situation. We won but are having to place pitches in the hitting zone. Made for a lower seeding due to runs.

Jun 18, 2013
If this was a "mean nothing game" I'd probably just pack up and exit the premises.

If this was a game that was going to end our run thru tourney brackets I'd turn to the players and..............."girls, might want to cover your ears cause coach is fixing to get this party started". I don't do it often, but I'll voice my opinion and get my money's worth when an umpire is showing his azz.

I have had to push the situation a couple of times with my basketball team. We had a game where the foul total was 14 for us and 1 for them midway through the 3rd quarter where I told the girls on the bench that I was about to get a technical. They looked at me funny and then I stepped on the court and began loudly questioning why my girls were deserving of taking a beating while the other girls couldn't handle being looked at sideways.

I am studying to be a pastor, and all of my parents know me and how much I value my reputation for handling things appropriately so I have to be very careful with the words that I use. However, there is never any situation where it is acceptable to allow an adult to mistreat any of the girls that I am responsible for.

Jan 24, 2011
I haven't seen too many instances in which it seems that an ump/referee is intentionally trying to screw a team over , but sometimes I wonder if some are even paying attention to the game. For instance , this weekend , we had runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs. Ball was hit to the right side of the pitcher (which she fielded ,but fell down). As my runner was trying to advance from 2nd to 3rd the shortstop came running toward the pitcher and collided with the runner. Pitcher through to 3rd and barely got the force out. I asked the ump about a possible obstruction call and she said she didn't notice the collision. I find it hard to believe that she didn't see it considering she was standing right behind the shortstop :confused:

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
You're accusing the referee of favoring one team. Which perhaps he did. But what would the motive be?

It could be the smallest thing for a motive. You'll see a lot of home cooking in HS ball, ump from the area, ump knows a player, umps kids may go/have gone to school there. TB, he may know a player/coach on a team personally, he may "like" a particular pitcher. I've even seen it go so far as an ump was flirting with a mom and their team got some unbelievable calls. It happens.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I have had to push the situation a couple of times with my basketball team. We had a game where the foul total was 14 for us and 1 for them midway through the 3rd quarter where I told the girls on the bench that I was about to get a technical. They looked at me funny and then I stepped on the court and began loudly questioning why my girls were deserving of taking a beating while the other girls couldn't handle being looked at sideways.

I am studying to be a pastor, and all of my parents know me and how much I value my reputation for handling things appropriately so I have to be very careful with the words that I use. However, there is never any situation where it is acceptable to allow an adult to mistreat any of the girls that I am responsible for.

Ok, here is the thing. A game like the OP described can get the dugout in a frenzy and the parents. Blame game and name calling usually follow, the "mob" wants blood. As a HC you gotta step up, and take the bullet. All the chaos, all the words the bench and stands want to say, you got to go out there and "say your piece".

That usually calms the mob down. They've seen someone on their team express how they feel, and believe "justice has been done"........at the expense of you getting tossed. Sometimes a coach has to take one for the team too.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It could be the smallest thing for a motive. You'll see a lot of home cooking in HS ball, ump from the area, ump knows a player, umps kids may go/have gone to school there. TB, he may know a player/coach on a team personally, he may "like" a particular pitcher. I've even seen it go so far as an ump was flirting with a mom and their team got some unbelievable calls. It happens.

I'd like to hear an umpire or high school sports official comment on this. ...

I certainly understand that there are weak officials, just as there are weak coaches, weak players, weak people doing all sorts of jobs. But I seem to have more faith in their integrity than most. Those who claim to see bias usually are fans or coaches of one particular team, so they lack objectivity by definition.

But maybe I'm naive.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
My friend, I can only comment on what I've seen.

In 2011 we had to go before the state board to "ask" that 2 umps not officiate our games with a particular school, they had thrown 2 previous games and had been picked to ump the district playoffs. They grew up with the head coach ( as kids ) from this rival school. TSSAA brought in a new crew of umps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd