sparking some interest

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2009
most of the girls on the team don't really want to be there. They aren't there because they like the sport or they want to learn how to play the sport. They are there just because they see it as a free hang out place, a place to meet new people and make more friends, and a way to get out of the house. as a leader i would love it if the team actually wanted to be there. but it seems like most of the girls don't have a true intrest in it. there aren't enough girls to replace them either. so as a leader i would love to spark some intrest in the sport. any ideas or anything??? i'm desperate.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Just a thought; have you considered moving on to a more competitive team? It's no longer free (or even cheap by some standards) but you would be playing with and against girls that want to be on the diamond...

My Daughter was in the same predicament after playing little league in the spring of 2008. In Fall of '08 she joined a start-up 12U NSA B level competitive team which was better but still had a couple of girls that weren't on the diamond to play competitively. Then in Spring of 2009 she joined a 14U NSA B team that was more competitive but still had the problem of a couple of girls not wanting to be there. In fall of 2009 she made the roster of a 16U ASA A level team that has 0 girls that are there for purely social reasons. Every player is top notch and they all want to be on the diamond to play softball. She made the 16U team again in the spring and can't wait to learn as much as she can!

This is just my observation - the more money that we pay for her to be on a team, the more the girls want to play and the more competitive the team is. (by saying "competitive", I don't necessarily mean "better") I know that isn't always the case but I would bet that it is the case in most instances.

Good luck in whatever you choolse to do!!!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Regardless of whether you're playing rec or travel ball (I have seen social players at both levels - so don't think for a second just because mom and dad pay $300 a month in dues and any associated travel costs, somehow that results in a 100% softball all the time mindset for the players), you need to stop worrying about everyone else and take care of your needs. You cannot lead someone that is not willing to be led, no matter how hard you try. Find the most competitive team you can that fits your competitive needs.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
If you're in SE PA I could post a few links to some teams in the area that play competive ball. Their rosters may be full but at least you'll know who to try out for at some point. Once the season kicks in, watch the teams at tournaments you attend and make note of the ones that have the spirit you're looking for. If they're not too far (depends on how much driving your parents want to do) then get contact information for the future.

Good luck - coaches always love having players who are passionate for the game!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I didn't reply, because I thought maybe it was HS ball. I would cut kids that aren't interested in doing the extra work, but she says there is a limited group of girls.

Anyone that isn't giving 100% in softball is liable to get hurt or hurt someone else.

Dec 15, 2009
it's a 14 & under team. i already play for them, 18 & under team, tournament team, high school team, and a fall ball team. i did notice that the upper levels do have more of a competitive mindaset. and i do live in southeast PA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie