Something I dont allow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
I saw something on this on another thread. You ever see those girls come up to bat and between each pitch swing ten times? Well when I umpire I tell them before the game "Dont Let them do it". There is no reason for it, it delays the game, and it is dangerous. I have seen some awful things with bats in games.

I guess seeing these things is why I dont allow it.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Do the rules in the sanctioning body you call games under prohibit practice swings between pitches? If not, then I would let kids take practice swings.

Do you allow fewer than ten? Is five okay? Do you even let them take one?

When I umpire, I try to enforce the rules as they are printed in the rule book, not my personal opinions of what players should or shouldn't do. I think that you create far fewer problems for yourself that way.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I have to agree with wild man--

ASA Rule 7(3)(B)

the batter must take the batter's position within 10 seconds after being directed by the umpire.

You tell the batter to get in the batter's box. If she doesn't, the ump can start calling strikes. It is a simple world.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I take swings, undo my batting gloves, fasten them again, smack the bottom of my cleats with the bat and re-do my hair all in 8 seconds. I do not like to let a pitcher get in a groove. I make her stand there, especially if it is hot or raining.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I have to agree with wild man--

ASA Rule 7(3)(B)

"the batter must take the batter's position within 10 seconds after being directed by the umpire."

You tell the batter to get in the batter's box. If she doesn't, the ump can start calling strikes. It is a simple world.

All well and good and I would agree too...IF Wild Man had said that he doesn't allow batters to delay the game by violating rule 7-3-B. But that's not what he said.

There's no rule that prohibits practice swings and certainly no rule that prohibits them because they're "dangerous". There's no guideline that permits umpires to ban something perfectly legal just because, in his own opinion, he doesn't like it. And there's no rule addressing the number of practice swings a batter can take.

What if she can take ten swings, then get positioned in the batter's box within ten seconds, without delaying the game, all the while keeping one foot in the batter's box? She hasn't broken any rules and there isn't any penalty to apply. What are you going to do? Call a strike? Call the batter out? Eject the kid? Scold her?

Last edited:
Being a parent, not player or "blue" or coach, I don't guess I have ever paid attention to things like that. I know my dd go with the pitches while on deck - lines herself up, pulls back and swings. I have seen maybe only 2 players on her school team who actually full swing right outside the batter's box - the rest take care of that on deck. Interesting...

Amy - you are a HOT MESS!!! :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I do that to interrupt the pitcher. Most pitchers like to throw about every 5-7 seconds. I want to make them wait. 10 seconds can be a long time for them to be cooling their heals.

It can work the other way around, too, where the pitcher makes the batter wait. Some rule sets lets the pitcher wait 20 seconds.

Oct 19, 2009
When coaching I have the kids practice at a station getting into the box relaxing, stepping out getting a sign then back in the box. I think it is important to get a good routine on getting in the box and preparing to hit. If the game is played in conditions where it’s 120 heat index then the ump speeding up the game for the player sake is fine, other than that I disagree, as long as the batter can do it within the 10 second rule I would think it is OK.

My daughter HS team played ast week, GA plays in fall, and the opposing pitcher would bring the ball into the glove and wait for 10 seconds before pitching, one batter called time and stepped out, when she did the pitcher threw the pitch. According to the ump new rule in GA, pitcher moves the ball to the glove the batter can no longer get time and the pitcher can stand with the ball in the glove for 10 seconds before delivery, this ump allowed a bit longer seemed to me and the pitcher took full advantage.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207