Placement of foot in front of the rubber

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
As long as the foot does not slide forward/away from the front edge prior to the push, the foot may rock forward onto the toe, breaking contact with the rubber. Otherwise, almost every pitch would be illegal as the heel rolls up.
Incorrect. The foot is allowed to push away from the plate and lose contact. It is not allowed to lose contact and then push away.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
To the best of my recollection, in NCAA, International, Triple Crown, USA Preps, USA, etc., the pivot foot may start with the pivot foot heel in contact with the front edge of the plate. I believe that NFHS, Little League, USSSA, etc., require at least some part of the pivot foot (including the heel) to be on the top of the plate prior to the forward step/push. In both, the heel will disengage as the foot rolls onto the ball/toe of the foot as long as the initial push started in contact with the plate. No pitcher pushes flat footed.

Attachments

• NCAA Pitching Rule.png
    NCAA Pitching Rule.png
    93 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
To the best of my recollection, in NCAA, International, Triple Crown, USA Preps, USA, etc., the pivot foot may start with the pivot foot heel in contact with the front edge of the plate. I believe that NFHS, Little League, USSSA, etc., require at least some part of the pivot foot (including the heel) to be on the top of the plate prior to the forward step/push. In both, the heel will disengage as the foot rolls onto the ball/toe of the foot as long as the initial push started in contact with the plate. No pitcher pushes flat footed.
I payed attention to this while I watched the college games that I had recorded over the weekend. I saw a number of pitchers start with their heel touching the front of the rubber which means that when they push off they lose contact with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles