slow starters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My team has lost three straight games in a row between last weekend and this... every time its the same. Errors, K's, and weak infield hits for the first 3-4 innings, then its a different team in the 4,5,&6 innings, In these late innings they've been dominate. But its always too little too late. Need advise on motivating them to start stronger and sooner.

May 31, 2012
I've only been around softball a few years but to me that seems pretty normal for the hitters. The girls don't hit til 2nd or 3rd time thru the lineup. Maybe its a confidence thing. I definitely think its mental. Hitting is contagious. Try to get them pumped up during pregame.

Oct 19, 2009
Well most teams do hit much better the second, third time through the order if the same pitcher is throwing.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Not just hitting... it is lack of motivation, a ton of errors, no communication etc... then its like a light switch in the later innings where all of a sudden its a completely different team???? If they would play the whole game the way they finish it, they would dominate.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Maybe a change of warm-up routine that includes things to get their bodies and minds operating at a higher level earlier?

Crazy Softball Guy

Casual Observer
May 31, 2013
Maybe change up your pregame warmup/routine. Do some extra hitting and/or team fielding drills to try and get them in a rhythm early so they are ready to go once they hit the field at game time. Early morning games are always tough, especially when the girls have to be at the field at 7:00 for an 8:00 game.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
We used to run a defensive warm up for the player prior to the first game. WE recently switched to hitting. A Casual soft toss and incredi-ball session where everyone hits through a couple of times. We then let them throw and warm up casually on the field during the plate meeting and prior to the game. We have performed better earlier in the game.I think we were too hard on them too early. Warming up in a casual fashion as if to build confidence is working for us better. That said, do not confuse casual with slack and goofing off. :)

Oct 25, 2009
A game of pepper before the game is pretty effective, Gets the eyes on the ball for the offense and the defense. Make it a fun thing. Give a pepper award or two.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06