SloMo catching/side/behind for my daughter ( update )

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 16, 2009
Update from my post last week.

Daughter turns 13 on October 2nd...5'8" 125lbs.

OK, we're trying to keep those shoulders square and the arm to go back so the ball doesn't disappear to improve her circle. Work in progress, but I see a little progress here.

I've included side and behind also...

Let me know what you think. We did some wall pitching and on the first one she hit it off the wall, it hit the ground and then hit me square in the nuts. I took a deep breath and kept going. I want her to improve... Any other ideas to improve the circle for her?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
She is a very good looking pitcher to me. Seems like a lot is going well. Stride, Whip, Release with internal rotation, Glove side not swimming, good footwork. Why not have her purposfully take that right arm right at the catcher on the upswing. It will feel like she is coming across her body but as she opens it will be right on the power line. You'll see when you tape it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Generally, she looks pretty good. But, there is always something to fix...

She isn't getting her arm straight. Her arm is straight at 3:00, but she immediately bends it. She never straightens it again. She is supposed to be "reaching for the sky" with a straight arm, and then at 12, she breaks the arm by pulling down with the upper right arm.

So, she needs to do "half frames" where she gets open, takes the ball to 12, extends the arm as much as possible, and then throws.

8491dbecd95a4adaa8830b1b212812fc.jpg

Her right foot always crosses "the power line". It is a nasty little habit to break. You may want to have her practice staying to our right, her left of the power line by telling her to overemphasize her foot position.

19f7c4d3b80d4d36839a54669b7b9d35.jpg

Next, she needs to take the ball back "on the power line". She is taking it back at an angle, which causes the ball get outside of the power line plane.

542fd5da316546d1b2026549a1d6f9d3.jpg

This is a nit...but, she is going to have to hide the ball better. This is her taking the ball back. The hitters have a beautiful view of her grip. This doesn't matter at 12U or 14U. But, at 16U, the hitters will look for her grip to find out if she is throwing a changeup or any breaking stuff. So, might as well as fix it now. She needs to cover the ball with her mitt as long as possible.

fe00adaff0de493c905656fe3a5d8552.jpg

Sep 16, 2009
Thanks for the feedback...

On hiding the ball, we're working on her doing the backswing with her glove going back with the ball to her right side, but for right now, doing so causes her problems right now because it further rotates her shoulders which is the main thing I'm trying to fix.

I think I'm going to put a cone on the power line where she should be landing and force her to land to her left of the cone to get the power line thing fixed.

Thanks again for all your feedback. I'm going to be posting videos of 2 of my other pitchers on the team as well. They are actually much more successful right now, but I think they have some MAJOR issues in terms of doing this the right way. They both throw significantly harder than my daughter but have a lot of fun stuff going on in their motion...

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
On hiding the ball, we're working on her doing the backswing with her glove going back with the ball to her right side, but for right now, doing so causes her problems right now because it further rotates her shoulders which is the main thing I'm trying to fix.
I think I'm going to put a cone on the power line where she should be landing and force her to land to her left of the cone to get the power line thing fixed.

Thanks again for all your feedback. I'm going to be posting videos of 2 of my other pitchers on the team as well. They are actually much more successful right now, but I think they have some MAJOR issues in terms of doing this the right way. They both throw significantly harder than my daughter but have a lot of fun stuff going on in their motion...

Try shortening the backswing. Probably fix the shoulder rotation issue.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In this age group, it is easy to have bad form and throw hard. As soon as the girls begin to physically mature (i.e., the hips spread and the bosom grows), it becomes almost impossible to throw hard with bad form.

Your DD is in a good place for her age.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
just curious what kind of video camera you are using? I am going to get a knew one and that looks very good, exact model if you don't mind, vey nice.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
SLAM96Coach: I agree with bwalk63. You did some really great work with the video. Tell us the camera and the software you used.

Thanks!

Aug 8, 2008
I think the issue with her arm flying out and her front foot crossing the power line are both related to her hips. Look at her hip angle as she sits on her push leg to begin the drive out - specifically from the back camera angle. If you drew parallel lines off her hips as she begins to drive out they would be at the same angle to the power line as her arm and front leg. Essentially, she is driving out laterally through her hips while her upper body is moving forward at an angle. I doubt you can correct the arm and front leg issues without working on the hips first.

Have her take both arms back together, while keeping her hips perpendicular to the target line and do an exaggerated skip to drive out making sure that her front leg lands the same distance from the power line as it started. Once she has a feel for this have her do the same exercise but have her pivot her hips open after she has begun her push out. Have her work on this idea until she can consistently land on the power line. Then add the arm circle into the exercise. Once she is comfortable with this she can add the shoulder turn that will allow her to hide the ball with her glove during the back swing - while keeping her hips square to the target through the beginning of the drive out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd