single or double

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Regardless of "rule", I've always held that the benefit of any doubt or argument goes to the hitter.

Reads like a double to me.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I was unsure about this play and read the rule but got confused on what it means to 'stop'. Does that mean the base where the batter finishes? Or does 'stop' account for stopping, then pursuing another base independent of the hit (not including errors or throws chasing other runners). I then emailed someone who has scored for a top college team, and his interpretation swayed me. I don't mind being wrong. (Well, actually I prefer not. :) But my main message is to look to the rules. Too many scorekeepers think of themselves as judges who may be liberal or harsh, rather than scorekeepers.

(a) Subject to the provisions of Rules 10.06(b) and 10.06(c), it is a one-base hit if the batter stops at first base; it is a two-base hit if the batter stops at second base; it a three-base hit if the batter stops at third base; and it is a home run if the batter touches all bases and scores.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The rules of scoring are designed to leave as little room for interpretation as possible, even if the result isn't always "fair" (especially to the pitcher). A lot of these (like "on the throw") have specific, defined uses, and aren't to be applied to other situations.
Just sharing to the process of
interpretation

Often scorebook people will only look at the results at the end of the play.
Not what occured during it.

For instance
Without even seeing how deep the outfielder recovered the hit ball, people say double.

Like whomever posted
10u double
12u single
It suggests knowing certain hits to the outfield should not be doubles.

interpretation

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Regardless of "rule", I've always held that the benefit of any doubt or argument goes to the hitter.

Benefit of the double to hitter is part of the rules, although I don't know that it applies here. It would apply to whether to give a hit when answering these kinds of questions - Would the batter have been safe at first if the fielder had gone to first on a fielder's choice? Would the batter have been safe at first if the ball had been fielded cleanly?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
It would apply to whether to give a hit when answering these kinds of questions -
1. Would the batter have been safe at first if the fielder had gone to first on a fielder's choice?
2. Would the batter have been safe at first if the ball had been fielded cleanly?
That aslo suggests the question
3. Would the runner have been out had they thrown it to 2nd, not the cutoff.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
It is my understanding the primary meaning 'benefit of the doubt goes to the hitter' applies to error/hit decisions.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Benefit of the double to hitter is part of the rules, although I don't know that it applies here. It would apply to whether to give a hit when answering these kinds of questions - Would the batter have been safe at first if the fielder had gone to first on a fielder's choice? Would the batter have been safe at first if the ball had been fielded cleanly?

There's not nearly as much room for argument / doubt on a fielder's choice, is there? In this situation, we're not talking about fielder's choice, but a single being stretched into a double by heads-up base running. I know players who routinely get an extra base simply because they're very fast and very aggressive.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
As others have said, "advancing on the throw" is used for one runner advancing a base because of a throw trying to get a different runner out.

If the left fielder throws to the cut off, it's a double. (In this scenario, if the left fielder throws to the third baseman, it's still a double, because a throw to the wrong base is also not an error)

The rules of scoring are designed to leave as little room for interpretation as possible, even if the result isn't always "fair" (especially to the pitcher). A lot of these (like "on the throw") have specific, defined uses, and aren't to be applied to other situations.

100% this.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
What rule am I making up?

I don't disagree that the play as described is a double. Where we might disagree is whether a runner who stops, then takes off and takes advantage of 'slow play' gets credit for a double.

You're making up the rules of scoring by carving out an area of judgment and interpretation where none is permitted.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA