Appeal play rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2023
Moves towards? In a live ball appeal, the fielder must touch the base while in possession of the ball or tag the runner before the runner corrects their miss (i.e. before the runner touches the base they missed). If the fielder successfully does this, the runner will be declared out by the umpire, and the play is still live

Just saying the word “appeal” while “moving towards” a base is nothing. When the ball is live the runner still has the opportunity to correct their mistake until they are tagged or the base they missed is tagged.
I know it, I mean the fielder moves toward then reaches the base and only then says appeal. But I read this.
NFHS...
8.2.2 SITUATION C:
The runner from first base misses second base on his way to third. He is: (a) standing on third base; or (b) halfway between second and third base when the throw from the outfield sails into the bleachers.
RULING: In (a), all the defense needs to do is verbally state that the runner missed second base. He would be ruled out. He cannot legally attempt to return to touch second, since he was on a subsequent base when the ball became dead. In (b), the runner may attempt to return and touch second base since he has not yet gained third base. The defense cannot appeal the missed base if the runner has initiated an attempt to return to the base or until all playing action is over.

8.2.2 SITUATION E:
The runner misses second base and, with the ball still in play, attempts to return and touch second base. The defense simply announces that he missed the base.
RULING: Since the runner has initiated action to return, the defense must tag him unless it is a force play,

So if the fielder moves toward the missed base before the runner does, is the appeal legit? But if the runner moves first, the appeal is not legit and to run the runner out you must tag him, right?

In this case I mean when the appeal begin, when the fielder begin to move or what?
Thanks

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I know it, I mean the fielder moves toward then reaches the base and only then says appeal. But I read this.
NFHS...
8.2.2 SITUATION C:
The runner from first base misses second base on his way to third. He is: (a) standing on third base; or (b) halfway between second and third base when the throw from the outfield sails into the bleachers.
RULING: In (a), all the defense needs to do is verbally state that the runner missed second base. He would be ruled out. He cannot legally attempt to return to touch second, since he was on a subsequent base when the ball became dead. In (b), the runner may attempt to return and touch second base since he has not yet gained third base. The defense cannot appeal the missed base if the runner has initiated an attempt to return to the base or until all playing action is over.

8.2.2 SITUATION E:
The runner misses second base and, with the ball still in play, attempts to return and touch second base. The defense simply announces that he missed the base.
RULING: Since the runner has initiated action to return, the defense must tag him unless it is a force play,

So if the fielder moves toward the missed base before the runner does, is the appeal legit? But if the runner moves first, the appeal is not legit and to run the runner out you must tag him, right?

In this case I mean when the appeal begin, when the fielder begin to move or what?
Thanks

Situation C is a dead ball appeal. Situation E is a live ball appeal. These appear to be from the high school baseball rulebook. This is a softball forum. It would be super helpful if your questions / references were from softball rule books / situations.

Appeals have nothing to do with who moves towards a base first. It seems like you are having a problem with the word "initiate". This is simply a description of whether the runner has started an action, or whether all action has been completed. It is not a description of whether a fielder or runner has done something before or after the other.

USA Softball:
Live. In all games an appeal may be made during a live ball by any fielder in possession of the ball touching the base missed or left too soon on a caught fly ball, or by tagging the runner committing the violation if they are still on the playing field.

Dead. The dead ball appeal may be made: 1 Once all runners have completed their advancement and time has been called. Runners must be given ample opportunity, in the umpire’s judgment, to complete their base running responsibilities. Any coach or infielder, with or without the ball, may make a verbal appeal on a runner missing a base or leaving a base too soon on a caught fly ball. The pitcher and the catcher are considered infielders for the appeal process. The appropriate umpire should then make a decision on the play. 2 When a ball goes out of play, runners must be given the opportunity to complete their base running responsibilities before the dead ball appeal can be made.

Jun 22, 2008
I mean are there any differences between softball and baseball? About appeal?
Are all the rules the same between softball rulesets? Not a baseball umpire so couldnt tell you but last I knew baseball didnt have dead ball appeals. That may have changed but dont know. Generally speaking do not use another sports rules. Most softball rulesets are pretty close, with the exception of NCAA. Never compare NCAA to any other softball ruleset, there are far more differences than there are similarities.

May 17, 2023
So when a runner misses home and the catcher has the ball and tries to tag him out the runner can go only toward the homebase and no more than 3 feet in all other directions, right?

May 29, 2015
I feel as if this has been answered ... [checks back in threads]

brady-enough-already.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles