Simplifying Teaching Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I bet they have very strong THUMBS! Texting does that for you. Schools are now talking about doing away with gym and we wonder why they have a weight problem in school today.

Oct 25, 2009
One of the most helpful things I picked up is what is called "holding your pose." Basically, the kid just freezes at the end of their swing and checks her finish, along with the coach. They can't finish well, usually, if their fundamentals aren't there. And a good benefit is that once they can do the correct pose, they can check themselves out, when they are practicing on their own, for example.

Another helpful thing is have them do their swings in slow motion—forward to pose, then from pose back to ready position.

Last, but not least, I have them do a check-swing drill. I have had the most success with this drill targeting the hips leading. Have them swing all the way through to pose, then have them bring just the top half back to launch position, leaving the hips mostly rotated. Swing from that position for about 6 swings, then repeat. It's a tough drill but you get quick results. It's called a check-swing drill because it resembles a batter in a check-swing position.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
I've been coaching my girls up from 6U, so I have a mere 4 years in softball after many years as a baseball player. I am very interested to see responses.

From our first year in travel ball there are some very good hitters in 8U. That's one end of the spectrum.

However, our rec league is growing and last year had 9 8U teams. This is mostly a good thing of course, but the downside is that how many good coaches are you going to get?

And the problem with tons of girls playing 6 and 8U is that for a highly technical sport, if they don't receive good instruction, they are basically out there just cementing bad habits in.

So...as the travel ball coach I had to try to undo so much before I could even get started.

I've thought about what level kids of different ages can handle. A kid who loves it and has a parent who is able and willing to play with them, well, I wouldn't place too many limits on such a kid.

For the rest, as a coach I would hope that a 6U player moving to 8U would have learned a basic balanced stance with a good grip. I would hope the kid would have been thrown tons of easy tosses to bunt at and hit with a simple swing so the kid has learned some basic coordination. The swing doesn't have to be powerful at all, it can basically start from a stand still, but hopefully doesn't have any huge flaws like swinging down on the ball or lunging.

An 8U player should start to stride (this can take a lot of work and for many the timing will take a lot of the season), keep their hands back, and take a full swing. The 8U player will still not have great lower body mechanics. The 8U player should understand bat lag, and begin to work on keeping their hands back (stretch), and correct hand path. Well, that might be a little ambitious, but the travel girls definitely started working on that.

These are my baselines. I don't know that they're good or not. There are always kids who are struggling with big flaws, and a few gifted players that can do more than what I have described.

Oct 25, 2009
I believe the most beneficial thing you could do with rec programs is to teach the coaches before you teach the kids. Have them be able to demonstrate what the kids will be taught. This was done at one of our community organizations and was very successful the first year and got better after that. In order to coach, you had to be certified in softball fundamentals by the community center staff.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
SB, You are right. I haven't had a chance to talk about balance yet. I am trying to help sisters, one of which is a natural and one that looks like I am speaking pig latin, to her.

I tell the girls all of the time, that grade school does not allow much teaching of balance. We used to jump rope, run up and down the teeter totter, stand on the monkey bars and play hop scotch. These girls don't even know what hop scotch is.
No hop scotch. That is blasphemy. Next thing you know they are gonna be taking prayer out of school.......
I think balance is extremely important in all athletic activities. If you can't stay balanced how can you swing a bat , throw, shoot a basketball, or run. One of the best things we did was get our dd into gymnastics and dance at a young age. She had lots of fun, and though she doesn't do them now, she has never had a problem with balance. I've seen some kids that can't keep from running into walls.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Pre-swing – have them in a position to be successful. Stop the practice or game if they are not where they should be. I tell my DD to reset if I think she is off. This encompasses a lot of checks for her. She checks her grip, her distance from the plate, her balance, etc. Only takes her @2 seconds. During a game never tell her that she is too far off the plate, her bat is in a poor position, just tell her to reset and she gets back to where she needs to be.

We practice this and she is comfortable. I do not want her to be thinking about anything except hitting the ball. Everything else is done in practice. DD is an all arm swinger, we are working on it but not during games. She is what she is.

Aug 2, 2011
Cool

Cool, I like the idea of using throwing to get the idea of weight shift across eventhough I don't want to get them thinking about it necessarily for their hitting. It seems to me that if you are going to teach the weight shift you have to teach the toe tap and negative move to load for the swing. Like I said, I don't want to introduce the tap/move so I might just leave talk about weight shifting for later. I also like the check swing drill.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
While I agree that you need to simplify swing mechanics for beginners, because it is a complex move and one of the most difficult things to do in softball, there are several key components that I teach:

- Grip is actually knocking knuckles off-set, not perfectly lined up;
- Athletic stance (the same one you have in receiving a throw when you are playing catch);
- Create upside down "V" with arms;
- Hands load (go back) during wind-up;
- Push off the inside big toe of the back foot as she starts the stride. You can call it "push away from the bug" instead of the dreaded other phrase.
- Hands stay well inside the ball with the left elbow pointed towards the pitcher (RHB);
- Hips are rotated open with belly button facing the pitcher to encourage getting the lower body more involved in the swing
- Maintain firm wrists and wrist angle at POC and drive to and through the ball;
- The swing plane should attempt to match the flight of the ball. No hitting down on the ball.
- Natural finish with the bat and arms wrapping around the upper body.

Of course this is an oversimplification (which was OP point I think) of the process, but these are some of the things we work on at every practice. Last thought is that I cannot emphasize enough how critical it is to do "T" stations to work on good mechanics and 100s of front tosses each week so they get used to adjusting the swing plane to pitches in different locations within and outside the strike zone. There is no easy way to be a good hitter, it takes years to become confident and consistent at the plate.

Just my .02

Oct 25, 2009
No hop scotch. That is blasphemy. Next thing you know they are gonna be taking prayer out of school.......
I think balance is extremely important in all athletic activities. If you can't stay balanced how can you swing a bat , throw, shoot a basketball, or run. One of the best things we did was get our dd into gymnastics and dance at a young age. She had lots of fun, and though she doesn't do them now, she has never had a problem with balance. I've seen some kids that can't keep from running into walls.

I hear gymnastics mentioned pretty frequently. How much time would one need to spend to see balance/strength benefits of gymnastics?

Oct 25, 2009
While I agree that you need to simplify swing mechanics for beginners, because it is a complex move and one of the most difficult things to do in softball, there are several key components that I teach:

- Grip is actually knocking knuckles off-set, not perfectly lined up;
- Athletic stance (the same one you have in receiving a throw when you are playing catch);
- Create upside down "V" with arms;
- Hands load (go back) during wind-up;
- Push off the inside big toe of the back foot as she starts the stride. You can call it "push away from the bug" instead of the dreaded other phrase.
- Hands stay well inside the ball with the left elbow pointed towards the pitcher (RHB);
- Hips are rotated open with belly button facing the pitcher to encourage getting the lower body more involved in the swing
- Maintain firm wrists and wrist angle at POC and drive to and through the ball;
- The swing plane should attempt to match the flight of the ball. No hitting down on the ball.
- Natural finish with the bat and arms wrapping around the upper body.

Of course this is an oversimplification (which was OP point I think) of the process, but these are some of the things we work on at every practice. Last thought is that I cannot emphasize enough how critical it is to do "T" stations to work on good mechanics and 100s of front tosses each week so they get used to adjusting the swing plane to pitches in different locations within and outside the strike zone. There is no easy way to be a good hitter, it takes years to become confident and consistent at the plate.

Just my .02

That ain't simple. No offense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish