Shoulder Lift

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2020
My daughter has started to lift her shoulder when finishing her fastball pitch and stiffens up, not relaxed unless she is throwing a change up. Any drills to help with whipping the ball hard but staying relaxed? She has been working on her drive and legs a lot and now the top part needs some work. Thanks.

Jul 22, 2015
Sometimes throwing into a net or tarp fairly close to her can help with this. When they can't see where the ball is going to end up sometimes it allows them to be more free and relaxed and allows you to focus on their mechanics not the result of the pitch.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
My daughter has started to lift her shoulder when finishing her fastball pitch and stiffens up, not relaxed unless she is throwing a change up. Any drills to help with whipping the ball hard but staying relaxed? She has been working on her drive and legs a lot and now the top part needs some work. Thanks.
My DD has always struggled with this. Always gets tight when trying to over throw it. I always say 'long, loose, and whippy', but it doesn't really sink in. I have tried to use examples of a dead arm and use the torso and body to try and whip it around like a wet noodle. I always tell her if her follow thru isn't popping her elbow and hands out like Ueno then they is too stiff. Alot of her pitches pull up and across her body if she is too tight pulling up her shoulder. Haven't yet found the best way to correct. Comes and goes. essentially no help to you, haha, sorry.

Jan 28, 2020
My DD has always struggled with this. Always gets tight when trying to over throw it. I always say 'long, loose, and whippy', but it doesn't really sink in. I have tried to use examples of a dead arm and use the torso and body to try and whip it around like a wet noodle. I always tell her if her follow thru isn't popping her elbow and hands out like Ueno then they is too stiff. Alot of her pitches pull up and across her body if she is too tight pulling up her shoulder. Haven't yet found the best way to correct. Comes and goes. essentially no help to you, haha, sorry.
My daughter can hit her spots good but her speed is not there when she muscles the pitch!

Jan 28, 2020
Sometimes throwing into a net or tarp fairly close to her can help with this. When they can't see where the ball is going to end up sometimes it allows them to be more free and relaxed and allows you to focus on their mechanics not the result of the pitch.
Thanks her coach has brought this up too.

May 11, 2018
my DD had this habit it was a tough one for her to break. with my DD she was trying way too hard and muscling the ball, lots of reps close to a net and recording helped a lot. with my DD it was really a trust issue, basically her trusting staying loose and relaxed was faster than her muscling and trying her hardest. you need to find out why she is doing it then reps will help fix it. good luck

Jan 28, 2020
my DD had this habit it was a tough one for her to break. with my DD she was trying way too hard and muscling the ball, lots of reps close to a net and recording helped a lot. with my DD it was really a trust issue, basically her trusting staying loose and relaxed was faster than her muscling and trying her hardest. you need to find out why she is doing it then reps will help fix it. good luck
Thanks, she sees it clearly on video but when we show her drills to try and correct the issue...she states, I already do that! 12 year old, ugh! We are going to have her pitching coach speak to her tonight and maybe she will listen!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors