Should she give up school ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
and also provide instruction on proper throwing technique for water bottles? ;)
shush..also if you remember correctly I missed my intended target so my level of competency is not worthy of being a private instructor in this area.

Mar 28, 2014
Again I don't know where I gave the impression that I was middle school BUT they have 3 coaches at the middle school who are all the HS staff. I don't do the middle school. I'm the one left out. If some of you will recall, I made a post long ago about the difference between building a program and having a team. This is a huge part of that. I am now retired so I volunteer. The pitching coach volunteers. Coaches need to recognize volunteers in their community who coach for the love of the game.
Didn't think you were middle school at all, the original poster was talking about a middle school team and you were comparing your high school to that middle school. That is what I was getting at. It's apples to oranges.

As for the comment about coaches needing to recognize volunteers.............................See that is where perspective comes into play here and things vary so wildly from coast to coast it's hard to have that perspective. To you, it's no issue for a coach to go find some volunteers to help. However at my DD's school, and thousands more like it, that's not allowed. The coach has to be a teacher at the school. No outsider can coach the team, volunteer or otherwise. So it's hard for me to understand a high school team having 4 coaches including a dedicated pitching coach as I'm sure it's hard for you to understand a school without that luxury.

May 20, 2016
Know this is late to the game but at some point travel goes dark so it becomes irrelevant anyway during HS season. My DD played JV in 7th grade and if not for covid would likely have played varsity in 8th. HS team isn't anything special really but she actually gets to play with her schoolmates. While it may seem like a waste to you, as it did for me at the time, she really loves it. Playing school ball will do nothing for her in the long run, but SHE likes to play with her friends. Came to grips a few years ago that her journey has nothing to do with me or my thoughts. It's hers and hers alone. I am now simply a Uber, an ATM machine, and a proud father.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
As a former high school coach I can’t imagine any player I had ever even asking to go to a private lesson during practice. I would guess at your stronger programs that just doesn’t happen. As a head coach at the HS level you can’t get into the “why” of missing practice. Like @Cannonball said - you would never have your whole team there and a kid missing for a lesson and still playing in games is disrespectful to the kid who does her lessons around team practice and then sits behind the kid who misses practice. I’m with you @Cannonball - missing practice is a Pandora’s box. Open it and your program will never be good.
Just sharing,
Yes even at the stronger h.s. programs players ask and are allowed to be excused from practices to go to lessons.

It is technical training beyond what can be offered at the h.s. practice.

This topic is really pending prefference how to reach goals.
Possibly includes ego over perspective.

There could be a list of other important reasons players are excused from practice
Like~ private tutoring to help elevate SAT scores.

As someone mentioned previously~
There very well could be the choice/decision to plan the best days for practices that help everyone attend.
And a team day off for individual requirements.

Oct 26, 2019
Just sharing,
Yes even at the stronger h.s. programs players ask and are allowed to be excused from practices to go to lessons.

It is technical training beyond what can be offered at the h.s. practice.

This topic is really pending prefference how to reach goals.
Possibly includes ego over perspective.

There could be a list of other important reasons players are excused from practice
Like~ private tutoring to help elevate SAT scores.

As someone mentioned previously~
There very well could be the choice/decision to plan the best days for practices that help everyone attend.
And a team day off for individual requirements.
I just think this is one of those topics that high school coaches and private instructors will probably never agree on. As a high school athletic director and former high school coach - once you get into the weeds of why a kid is missing practice and what it’s OK to miss for and what it’s not (short of a funeral or family emergency) You start heading down a slippery slope. I never really got upset if a kid missed practice, They just didn’t play in the next game or at least didn’t start. Kids who want to prioritize individual over the team and then justify it by saying them getting better is better for the team need to play an individual sport. Golf, track, wrestling, swimming etc. there are a bunch of them where it can be all about them.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I just think this is one of those topics that high school coaches and private instructors will probably never agree on. As a high school athletic director and former high school coach - once you get into the weeds of why a kid is missing practice and what it’s OK to miss for and what it’s not (short of a funeral or family emergency) You start heading down a slippery slope. I never really got upset if a kid missed practice, They just didn’t play in the next game or at least didn’t start. Kids who want to prioritize individual over the team and then justify it by saying them getting better is better for the team need to play an individual sport. Golf, track, wrestling, swimming etc. there are a bunch of them where it can be all about them.
Agree about it can be a slippery slope.
Thats why standards are important!

Usually comes down to either~
Only what the coach wants.
Or
What is best for the players on the team.

Young h.s. adults generally have a mega ton of 'stuff' on their schedule.
imo Think 4 days of h.s. ball is
👉enough anyway!!!

As for instructors or coaches view.
Since have done both, actually h.s. travel, and college.
Paying attention to the players makes them the priority.
By acknowledging what schedule is beneficial to the group. And facilitating it.
Makes for a schedule the players can prioritize.
Hence giving them time to do what they need accomplish and
*Leave no excuse to not attend the s.b. schedule.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016
Not so fast, my friend. One of the assistant coaches at the h.s. my daughter will be attending is a former D-1 pitcher. She is also my daughter's pitching coach and used to coach for one of the better clubs in our region. She is excellent and highly regarded in our area.
There are exceptions to every rule. In this case the high school coach is your DD's pitching coach so she is not undermining what you are paying for. In most cases high school coaches are not former D1 pitchers or experienced pitching coaches.

May 6, 2015

hypothetical

suzy misses monday practice every week to see her pitching instructor (your team does not have dedicated pitching instructor, or anyone who knows enough about it to teach it) who she has been seeing for 3 years, has good velocity, can place her fastball where she wants pretty much, decent drop change.

mary is there every day, stays behind 30 minutes after practice to throw, decent velocity, can throw strikes, but not nearly as much location command, and no drop/change to speak of (or easily readable by hitters)

both are good treammates excluding attendance, support teammates, are energetic, enthusiastic, disciplined, etc.

who do you start?

Oct 26, 2019
hypothetical

suzy misses monday practice every week to see her pitching instructor (your team does not have dedicated pitching instructor, or anyone who knows enough about it to teach it) who she has been seeing for 3 years, has good velocity, can place her fastball where she wants pretty much, decent drop change.

mary is there every day, stays behind 30 minutes after practice to throw, decent velocity, can throw strikes, but not nearly as much location command, and no drop/change to speak of (or easily readable by hitters)

both are good treammates excluding attendance, support teammates, are energetic, enthusiastic, disciplined, etc.

who do you start?
Mary pitches in Tuesday’s game since Suzy missed Monday’s practice. Suzy may pitch in relief if her attitude is good about not starting. Assuming Suzy makes Wednesday and Thursday’s practice then she pitches Friday since she is the better pitcher.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
hypothetical

who do you start?
If the pitcher has been going to an instructor for 3 years and only has a fastball and decent change drop...you have bigger issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles