Should she give up school ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2019
There are exceptions to every rule. In this case the high school coach is your DD's pitching coach so she is not undermining what you are paying for. In most cases high school coaches are not former D1 pitchers or experienced pitching coaches.
Exactly my point when you said a high school pitching coach would be reason to quit. Thank you.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
@bmakj like the scenario question!!
Copy cat question

Two pitchers on varsity.
One pitcher says
I will be at practice everyday
But my healthy standard is to take at least one day off from all throwing during the week.

The other pitcher throws everyday.

Who do you start?

The question is really identifying if attendance is the real issue in your question, not necessarily s.b. itself.

For the players that have a dedicated goal to showcasing in travel ball...
the type of player they are when they step out of high school to go back to travel ball really really matters!!!
( yes, this includes good performance in high school)
Being sharp and ready to go when you start your showcasing at the end of May is super important.
Can completely understand why someone would not want to skip their lessons. And if the standard is game playing time restricted then they will make that choice (some disgruntled to make that choice) yet set their priorities.

Plenty of times players grades slip and become ineligible only to have to miss practice and go to study hall.

Its odd to consider reprimanding the player who goes to lessons because of attendance with (cut?) playing time when the player is working on performance.

When the player who became ineligible and cant play/practice...gets there grades up they can return and play. Because they worked on their performance.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019
The post was about middle school. It was a reply to the original poster. I don't think his kid's middle school coach was a D1 pitcher.
You didn't say that. You said a school pitching coach. Frankly, I don't care anymore. Congratulations, Brian, you win the prize for "winning" an argument on the internet with a stranger because your ego won't allow you to just say "ok."

Make sure you show this to your wife and kid(s). I'm certain it will impress them. But then they already may know how it is with you.

Last edited:

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
I guess I'm weird. I coached my dd when she pitched in HS. She went 29-1 with a perfect game and a couple of no hitters. She didn't get recruited to pitch in college so I stopped pitching her in HS. My other pitchers went to private coaches on Sundays. They never missed practice. I was my teams hitting coach long before I took the coaching position. Most of them started with me when they played with my dd on a TB team. I was free so it made sense to the parents to use me as their dd's pitching coach.
As it should be. Helping the kids and not trying to make a buck in the process. Not weird at all.

Apr 11, 2016
This is exactly what is wrong with sports in the modern age. Everyone is out for themselves first, team last.

Thanks for judging without knowing the facts.

DD ended up not playing school ball. Her travel team practiced 2 nights a week and games on weekends during the entire school-ball season. DD was their starting pitcher, and if she didn't pitch well, her team would suffer.

DD's PC was an hour away. School ended at 3pm, by the time they got to the field, which was several miles away, would be 3:45pm. School practices ended at 5:00pm. PC only taught til 6:30pm and had a full schedule. You either take an empty slot on PC's schedule, or you don't get lesson that week. He taught only M-Thur. Basically, if she played school ball, she could only take lessons at 6-6:30pm M or W, but PC said he couldn't guarantee those slots every week.

Like golf, pitching requires constant adjustment. One bad habit and the ball would go wild. If a pitcher doesn't do well, the team suffers. Your statement, "everyone is out for herself (sic) first", in this case, is false. We paid for weekly pitching lessons and spent 3 hours every week taking her there so that she could pitch well for her team. If she played school ball, she would have to stop pitching lessons for 2 months, and hoped that she would pitch well immediately when school ball ended, which is a lot to ask from a 13yo. Would you like your DD to play on a team where the pitchers couldn't pitch?

I ended up talking to other parents from other teams, which said their teams only had one practice a week so kids could focus on school ball and still have pitching or batting lessons. I finally convinced her travel team HC to please not have 2 practices every week next year until school ball ends.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
Thanks for judging without knowing the facts.

DD ended up not playing school ball. Her travel team practiced 2 nights a week and games on weekends during the entire school-ball season. DD was their starting pitcher, and if she didn't pitch well, her team would suffer.

DD's PC was an hour away. School ended at 3pm, by the time they got to the field, which was several miles away, would be 3:45pm. School practices ended at 5:00pm. PC only taught til 6:30pm and had a full schedule. You either take an empty slot on PC's schedule, or you don't get lesson that week. He taught only M-Thur. Basically, if she played school ball, she could only take lessons at 6-6:30pm M or W, but PC said he couldn't guarantee those slots every week.

Like golf, pitching requires constant adjustment. One bad habit and the ball would go wild. If a pitcher doesn't do well, the team suffers. Your statement, "everyone is out for herself (sic) first", in this case, is false. We paid for weekly pitching lessons and spent 3 hours every week taking her there so that she could pitch well for her team. If she played school ball, she would have to stop pitching lessons for 2 months, and hoped that she would pitch well immediately when school ball ended, which is a lot to ask from a 13yo. Would you like your DD to play on a team where the pitchers couldn't pitch?

I ended up talking to other parents from other teams, which said their teams only had one practice a week so kids could focus on school ball and still have pitching or batting lessons. I finally convinced her travel team HC to please not have 2 practices every week next year until school ball ends.

You’re all over the place with your posts. You just said your DD has been on a C team the past two years. Earlier in this thread you were complaining about the quality of school ball. I’ve never seen a C team or player that should be judging the quality of anyone else’s play.

In your other thread you complained the HC was upset with you for trying out for another team without telling him. Here you tell us he rearranged his entire practice schedule to accommodate your DD. And you wonder why he’s upset?

Your rant about pitching lessons and school ball is ridiculous. It won’t hurt a pitcher to miss lessons for a couple months during school ball. Most pitchers put them on hold during that time anyway. Play school ball or don’t play. Your choice, but enough of the drama.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles