Shocked By a Parents behavior

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
No He did not say anything to the Parent. I did ask him about that and he said that the Chief league Umpire has told them not to engage spectators at all.

That's interesting because I've seen ASA umps eject spectators multiple times. Usually for making derogatory remarks at the ump however.

Oct 19, 2009
I know you are venting but ..

After much soul searching I called CPS to report a certain situation. It was hard to do but in hindsight I should have called them sooner. In my opinion it worked out great, there was a behavioral change.

Taking a crack at someone would be for your satisfaction and would unfortunately make the situation worse. These idiots are all cowards.

I hate the system, but you need to go thru the system.

What is CPS?

Jan 18, 2011
I'm an ASA umpire and I tossed a fan for mouthing off also. It was at me, but what he was saying did not need to be heard by the 10U girls that were playing. An umpire can very well control the outside of the fence. He can clear everyone from behind the plate screen. Where I am there a no seats behind home plate, on rec. ball. He then can warn the teams coach to control their parents or he'll call the game or he has the power to eject that parent all together. I'm very surprised that the umpire did nothing. I would have at least warned him and removed him from that area and notified that's team's coach, if not ejected him all together and my umpire-in-chief would have stood behind my decision.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I've seen Umpires throw fans out of games at every level including high school. I've seen Umpires and Refs do so in just about every sport. This young girl's life is obviously miserable with a father who verbally abuses her. However, I'd let the authorities handle this. You would not believe what I have seen from parents at the HS level.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Well, who have ejected fans or have seen it, please provide citation in the rule book permitting such action.

What is done locally is a local rule. AFAIC, as an umpire, I'm only worrying about what happens inside the fence. Don't care what the fans have to think, they are not the customer.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
In our rec league I am responsible for the actions of my parents. The umpire will issue me a warning and at that time I am to get my parents calmed down. If I need assistance the umpire will explain the situation to them and we will get local board members involved. If I do not handle the issue I can be ejected which will also cause an automatic one game suspension. We play under an NSA sanction and this is something discussed at the plate during our season as well as all stars.

We have had one game stopped due to this. The opposing team had an adult yelling at our 6U girls as the ball was coming to the plate trying to distract them. After one of our parents asked him to stop it only got worse. At that point the umpire told the coach to handle it or he would be out of the game. If it continued he would stop the game since the girls did not need to be subjected to this.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
As a coach, i have had 2 run ins with parents/fans. The 1st time was when i had my first coaching gig. I was 18 helping a man coach a 14U rec team. It was during a game and i was coaching 3rd base. I saw the step father of one of our players approach her on the bench, then i witnessed him shoving her off and go to strike her. I sprinted across the field, hopped the fence and tackled him. This wa before cell phones. I held him in place until the police came and hauled him off. The 2nd time was during a TB game for 10U. There was a bang bang play at home. The base runner did not slide and her and my catcher collided. Her father ripped open the gate and started dropping the F bomb at my catcher and anyone else who would listen. After i rendered medical aid to his child, i calmly ask him to stop swearing. I too ask the ump to get him off the field ( he wasn't A coach) i pulled my entire team off the field and had the parents remove them from the area. i then told the umpire we would not take the field until the man was removed. he said he wouldn't. i said we forfiet then. The toruney director soon was questioning what was going on ( we were holding up games) by this time, everyone was watching this unfold. They soon ask the man to leave, we then took the field. However it was pointless, both teams of 10 year olds were distraught over what happend. To make the story even better, 2 weeks later we were in the State Championships. i witnessed the same man get thrown out of his other daughters 12U game. Not only away from the game, but out of the complex!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I heard last night about a dad ripping one of my former pitchers, while she was in the circle. He made her sob and the coach had to remove her from the game. I asked, "Did her mother say anything to her husband about his behavior?" "No." The DD is 12.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCsDad