Shocked By a Parents behavior

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
In our game yesterday The pitcher from the opposing team Was doing well untill the 5th inning Then She started getting tired and Really began to struggle.
Her Dad was behind the back stop I know him because he used to live in our community And moved to get his Girl to a different School.

Now here is what he did: She threw a wild pitch that got by the catcher My runner on 3rd Scored on the play And she of course Came in to cover home.

The ball was way back by the screen and she had to go real close to dad to pick it up As she picked it up he says plenty loud " WAY TO GO YOU MORON THEY SCORE ON YOU AGAIN.

I started over to say somthing to him and the umpire ,whom I know very well said With his hand on my chest " dont even start".

So I bit my tounge and let it go.

I could see the poor girl just deflate Luckily it was the 7th and it was done quickly.
I dont know what if any thing will become of it as far as the school goes.
It was loud enough that her coach would have to be deaf to not hear it. But I plan on speaking to the coach any way.

I wish this kind of thing did not exist but sadly it does.

I Felt like just walking out and punching his lights out But that would be even worse than what he did, And would only cause problems not solve them.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I know Wild Man. I knew a dad that treated his son, the same way. The man was an alcoholic. I always looked for a chance to call the park police, but it never happened.

I think that by confronting the man, you are going to make it so much worse on the child. It does bother me, when I can't do anything, though. I suppose the child's mother is mistreated, too.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I have had parents like that on my team before. I have had to tell them that kind of behavior was unacceptable and if it happened again they would be watching the rest of the game from the parking lot. That is all it usually takes. It happening on the other team is another matter, as saying anything could very easily 'escalate' when they're mad. I can't believe the other coach did not say anything, but maybe s/he did after the game. If you know this parent, give him time to cool down, then a phone call might be in order, just to let him know how it sounded to everyone else at the game, OBUSIVE.

Jul 28, 2008
So the umpire stopped you, but did nothing to the guy who insults a child? Blue should have sent the players to their dugouts and not resumed play until the @$$ was gone from the park.

Jun 13, 2010
No He did not say anything to the Parent. I did ask him about that and he said that the Chief league Umpire has told them not to engage spectators at all.

However had I been the umpire I would have tossed him and dealt with the boss later.
The coach is aware of his behavior and I understand that the School Adminastration is handling it. I dont know what that means exactly though.

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Wild man, I can tell you on my DD TB team, the other parents would have put a stop to that idiot. We threw one parent off the "team" last season. That idiot is nothing but a distraction for the entire field, both team, all of the coaches, everybody. Carry some Nyquil and duct tape in your first aid kit.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
No He did not say anything to the Parent. I did ask him about that and he said that the Chief league Umpire has told them not to engage spectators at all.

That is correct. The umpire is responsible for what occurs inside the fence.

However had I been the umpire I would have tossed him and dealt with the boss later.

Pretty good since you probably don't have that authority.

The coach is aware of his behavior and I understand that the School Adminastration is handling it. I dont know what that means exactly though.

And that is why HS ball requires games administrators be on site in most, if not all, states.

Mar 13, 2010
I've tossed a coach before for not controlling his spectators. I've also called a game.

This one is harder because the poor girl already has enough crap without that too.

Jul 26, 2010
In TB I'd be surprised if this behavior was tolerated.

In our local rec league, the parents all have to sign a parent/player agreement form. One of the things they agree to is that each team manager is responsible for the behavior of the parents/spectators for their team. This means the manager of the team would be in their rights to ask this person to cease the behavior, leave the field, and if the person disagreed, to call the league officials to come and deal with the individual.

I'm surprised that there are rec leagues that don't put the manager/coach responsible for their team spectator behavior.

-W

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I know you are venting but ..

After much soul searching I called CPS to report a certain situation. It was hard to do but in hindsight I should have called them sooner. In my opinion it worked out great, there was a behavioral change.

Taking a crack at someone would be for your satisfaction and would unfortunately make the situation worse. These idiots are all cowards.

I hate the system, but you need to go thru the system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd