Select team!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2013
Im so stressed! I'd really like to start a select team! Can ANYONE tell me how to do that? Rules? How much money to collect? Etc.

Aug 2, 2008
lol. Many things to consider, here are a few in no particular order.
Do you know anything about softball,
Size of the area you are pulling from,
number of teams in your area already,
how far you want to travel,
number of tournaments,
level of play,
do people like you,
uniforms, what kind, how many,
do you have equipment,
do you know anything about softball, I asked twice because I am assuming no because you have to ask this question. No biggy, I was there once myself.

Basically figure how many tournaments you want to play $$, plus the unifirms you want to buy $$, plus equipment you need $$, price of registration and insurance $$ and split it up between the number of players you will roster. Its usually between $400.00 and $3000.00 per kid.

Get the word out about your tryout, run it and pick your roster, call the other kids you dont want and break their hearts.

Rules depend on the sanction, once you register you will get a rule book that will do you no good until you have coached a few years and have many "ah ha" moments on the field.

Anybody can field a team. Few can field a good team. If you go through with this you will soon feel empathy for whatever coach you are currently mad at. You must be ok with people thinking you are an idiot, its sometimes a thankless hobby I am very fortunate to have stumbled into. Some of these kids are just wonderful, I am coming to the planned end of my coaching career which is a little sad for me. But I cant go to a park or high school game without seeing at least on kid I have coached before and I love it.

Good luck.

p.s.
seriously, do you know anything about softball? if not find someone who does and ask them for help with coaching.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2013
Actually i know tons about softball ive been playing since i wasw 4! and playing select since i was 10. I also always played up an age group. I know everything there just about is but ive never been interested in having my own select team before so ive never payed to much attention on how to start one! Also ive always played on teams that were already started, never any new ones. People love me, an 18u team.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I was looking for other posted topics on this, but here you go. You will need the following at a minimum before you even start.

10-12 dedicated players

Now, you have to answer a few questions.

Where will you practice?
What type of team will it be? Are you just out for fun or chasing a berth to nationals?
Who will be coaching? (volunteers or paid)

Next, you should outline a tentative schedule. Once you have done this, you will be able to create a basic budget for your team. Here are the basics for the budget

Insurance
various registration fees
Tournament fees
Uniforms
Field rental
equipment

Assuming you stay low end on uniforms and schedule local tournaments, you are probably looking at around $6k-$7k for a summer season. That is if you can get the fields for free or inexpensive. If you have no sponsors, you should be able to get the team started for about $600 per girl. As far as up front money....I would charge uniforms, registration, insurance and first tournament as the fee. So let's say $300 per girl up front and the second $300 due by 1st tournament.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Not being funny but I'm finding it to be true... You'll need a pole barn, or at least access to one. Or some kinda homebase where your pitchers love to go... and work some. If they don't like horses, then look into places close to a shoe store...

Last edited:

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
18U? It sounds like you are planning a very short coaching tenure! Usually starting with a 10u or 12U team and building them and learning along the way is the path most take.
$100-$150 per girl per month should cover your costs. Depending on where you live(economics) paying by the month may be easier for the families. If money is not an issue I would say your next big issue is going to be finding quality players at that age group that don't already play on a team. I understand that winning every game is not realistic for any team much less a start up team but winning a fair share of games IS important if you want to keep a team from falling apart midseason.
Are you just doing this for fun? Social=easy. Competitive=challenging
Do you plan on playing at a high level? The lower the expectations the easier it is to start and maintain a team
Shop around at equipment suppliers near you to get prices on helmets, bags, uniform, team equipment, etc. put it all together add 10%-15% for incidentals and divide by how many girls are on the team.
If you want to play this summer you are already behind. Pick up the phone NOW.
Good luck

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I think your first step would be to determine WHY you want to form a select/travel team. ... What do you want to accomplish? Who would it serve?

It's easier to have a game plan when you spell out your objectives and what you feel you have to offer.

Basically. I really want to start a team! But no one will help me learn how:(!

I suggest you first start with an organization that is already established and ask them to help coach a team for the season.
Coaching is a very delicate thing, it's not just about teaching the girls. Parents are CRAZY! Let me repeat that PARENTS ARE CRAZY!

Their kids are all awesome and every last one of them deserve to be playing on the field at all times no matter what!
Some parents will create more drama than you can shake a stick at.

I think you better have your big girl panties ready!

I will say a special prayer for you cause it's gonna be a tough first season.

Do you even have pitching lined up??? That's one of the biggest factors. Most of the teams for summer have already been picked. We are already into our 5th tournament.

Oh girl.........I already feel sorry for you! Keep us updated on how this goes.

:cool:

Oh and have fun!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06