SEC Network

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
That's odd. I remember watching B1G softball every weekend this spring on BTN.

That may be but you absolutely didn't watch the opening round of the conference tournament. My post had less to do with the number of games than the absence of the full tournament on the network and the quality of the production by using student announcing crews.

Apr 1, 2010
As someone who doesn't get the SEC Network, my biggest fear is that ESPN will shift games away from the regular channels to the SEC Network. My daughter and I really got into watching college/pro/international/LL softball this year on TV and I'd hate for the number of games available on ESPN and ESPN2 to drop this year.

The Big Ten Network is just terrible with softball. This year, they opted to show 15 year old football game replays instead of the opening round of the conference softball tournament. To me, that's just pathetic. Many of the games they do run are with student announcing crews and student camera operators. While sometimes the announcing on ESPN or other networks may leave something to be desired, it's a big step up from college students doing the games. However, I don't want to complain too much about that or the Big Ten Network might opt to show the 1982 Rose Bowl instead.

The softball coaches in the Big Ten should be furious with the way the sport is covered on the conference network. It has to make recruiting even more difficult in a geographic area that is already behind the SE and West based on weather alone.

I was totally disgusted when I realized that they were showing old reruns instead of their live end of the season tournament. What in heaven's name!!! And ICAM, I *HATE* those student crews. Young men who aren't that good at announcing and also have basically no clue about softball, paired with camera crews who leave you wondering where the ball went! Is it really that hard to follow the ball to the outfield and show us whether it's caught or not?

I'm ok with Garland Cooper. I can't believe that they can't find more ex players to call games for them, especially when so many softball players have media/journalism as their major. Or if they need current students, surely there must be women college students who have softball experience and can speak clearly enough? The short pre-game bits where some player or players come out with microphones and announce their teams are better than the Big 10 student announcers, IMO. Ok, that's the end of my rant. ;-)

Feb 24, 2012
They'd have every right to be upset if they could field teams worth watching, and I say that as an OSU alumnus. As you say, the weather makes trouble for us. We have a short home season, and we are in the middle of Football Central (regardless of what those SEC weenies like to think). My Lady Bucks played their first 10 or so games in FL and NV and CA this season. Hard to drum up interest when the girls are playing elsewhwere. Add to that the fact that Delaney couldn't care less about any other sport but football, couldn't care less about the newer B1G teams like Nebraska that actually field good teams in other sports, and the B1G Network coverage of ANY other sport is mana from heaven.

5 teams in the NCAA tournament, the same as the PAC 12, says that there are plenty of BIG 10 teams "worth watching."

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
5 teams in the NCAA tournament, the same as the PAC 12, says that there are plenty of BIG 10 teams "worth watching."

5 teams in the regionals, 3 to the supers, 0 to the WCWS. This year.

I'm a B1G guy, but I'm honest about it. Since 1982, there have been 2 B1G teams to appear in the finals, Northwestern and _ichigan. Pac 10/12 teams have appeared 40 times. It's nobody's fault, we just don't have the weather to play the sport year round like they do down south and out west, so the people here aren't as revved up about stick and ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Farmboydrose