Scoring STATS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
And this is, of course, basically impossible to apply to a youth player/team.

If you want to figure out who scores the most runs compared to time on base, just do a simple R/TOB (H + BB + HBP) (plus maybe FC and ROE). If you want to figure out who scores the most runs per PA, just do R/PA.

If you want to figure out who is good at base running, you need to track SB/CS, extra bases taken on hits, TOOTBLANs (thrown out on the bases like a nincompoop), advancing on WP/PB (but then you have to also track any time a runner does NOT advance on a ball that eludes the catcher), etc. Maybe factor in GDP.

All this sounds like a tremendous amount of work to probably learn that you have too small a sample to gather anything meaningful from it, and it probably wouldn't tell you a lot that the eye test couldn't.
I agree, the real hard part is equating the negative ( running into out) to a positive. Youth sports have insane stats. My guess you could get 1 out could equal 5-6 positive bases. Most teams have average ops of hof mlb.

Mar 28, 2020
There's not really a commonly used/meaningful stat.

If you literally want to know how many times she scored once she was actually on base, in addition to ROE, you also need to include FC and any pinch/courtesy running appearances.

I'm not sure what purpose it would serve though. Runs scored are largely a product of how good your teammates are at driving you in.

For evaluation purposes, the best stats are the ones that remove as much noise as possible. The run stat has a ton of noise. A player could get on base literally every time she ever bats and never score a run. Would you say she's a bad offensive player? So, what do you hope to prove by calculating how often a player scores when they're on base?
@CoachJD we have a girl that is special on the bases....short only 5'3" but as a freshman ran 11:90 secends in 100m and the speed translates to the bases. Every time an ump has call her out on a steal we showed them after the game the video and she was safe..everytime.....she is so fast its crazy....so we started asking what is the % of scoring once on base. Yes it has allot to do with who is behind her, but that is why we started looking. Next is tracking how many times she was left on 3rd....

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
@CoachJD we have a girl that is special on the bases....short only 5'3" but as a freshman ran 11:90 secends in 100m and the speed translates to the bases. Every time an ump has call her out on a steal we showed them after the game the video and she was safe..everytime.....she is so fast its crazy....so we started asking what is the % of scoring once on base. Yes it has allot to do with who is behind her, but that is why we started looking. Next is tracking how many times she was left on 3rd....

You're showing the umpires that she was safe after the game? If that's what you're saying, don't do that.

So just add up all the times she's on base. Then do runs scored/times on base to get a percentage. That's the simple way.

The harder way is probably impossible. You want to know how many more runs she's adding to the team over the average player (which is different than "runs scored" in a way I'm not sure I can easily explain). But to know that, you'd have to know not just how everyone else on your team runs the bases, but how everyone in your league/conference/state runs the bases.

Mar 28, 2020
You're showing the umpires that she was safe after the game? If that's what you're saying, don't do that.

So just add up all the times she's on base. Then do runs scored/times on base to get a percentage. That's the simple way.

The harder way is probably impossible. You want to know how many more runs she's adding to the team over the average player (which is different than "runs scored" in a way I'm not sure I can easily explain). But to know that, you'd have to know not just how everyone else on your team runs the bases, but how everyone in your league/conference/state runs the bases.
the showing the umpires...is just us messing with them....I normally say..yep your eyes fooled ya.... see is that fast.....I'm an official and I understand its in jest....

We are looking for the later......how many more runs she's adding to the average player......that is what we are trying to do....I know there has to be a stat out there for that. We know how many steals she adds to runners behind her.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
the showing the umpires...is just us messing with them....I normally say..yep your eyes fooled ya.... see is that fast.....I'm an official and I understand its in jest....

We are looking for the later......how many more runs she's adding to the average player......that is what we are trying to do....I know there has to be a stat out there for that. We know how many steals she adds to runners behind her.

It's not about whether there's a stat for it. There is. The problem is you don't have the necessary data to input to get the information you want. FanGraphs' BsR is what you're looking for, but it's not possible to actually calculate it for a youth softball player.

BsR (Base Running Runs Above Average): Number of runs above or below average a player has been worth on the bases, based on stolen bases, caught stealing, extra bases taken, outs on the bases, and avoiding double plays. It is the combination of wSB, UBR, and wGDP.

wSB, UBR, and wGDP all require data from more than just that individual player. Generally, the way stats like this work is they take all the events to determine how much each is worth. How many runs is going first to third worth? How many runs is a stolen base with two outs worth? How many negative runs is getting thrown out on the bases worth? You can't know that answer without plugging all the instances of those events in.

The best you can do, possibly, is for your team alone, but I'm not sure that's really even possible.

Here's a description of Ultimate Base Running: https://library.fangraphs.com/offense/ubr/

wSB: https://library.fangraphs.com/offense/wsb/

wGDP: https://library.fangraphs.com/offense/wgdp/

Those three stats are then combined to get BsR.

You could possibly do a simplified version based on some of the formulas they use. Assign a value to the different events (taking an extra base, stolen base, getting thrown out, etc.), then add everything up.

Keep in mind that at youth levels, the gap between the best and the worst players is much, much larger than at the Major League Baseball level. So it is very possible that if you have an all-world speedster on the bases, she is providing more value to your team than a Corbin Carroll or Elly De La Cruz provide to theirs.

Mar 28, 2020
It's not about whether there's a stat for it. There is. The problem is you don't have the necessary data to input to get the information you want. FanGraphs' BsR is what you're looking for, but it's not possible to actually calculate it for a youth softball player.

BsR (Base Running Runs Above Average): Number of runs above or below average a player has been worth on the bases, based on stolen bases, caught stealing, extra bases taken, outs on the bases, and avoiding double plays. It is the combination of wSB, UBR, and wGDP.

wSB, UBR, and wGDP all require data from more than just that individual player. Generally, the way stats like this work is they take all the events to determine how much each is worth. How many runs is going first to third worth? How many runs is a stolen base with two outs worth? How many negative runs is getting thrown out on the bases worth? You can't know that answer without plugging all the instances of those events in.

The best you can do, possibly, is for your team alone, but I'm not sure that's really even possible.

Here's a description of Ultimate Base Running: https://library.fangraphs.com/offense/ubr/

wSB: https://library.fangraphs.com/offense/wsb/

wGDP: https://library.fangraphs.com/offense/wgdp/

Those three stats are then combined to get BsR.

You could possibly do a simplified version based on some of the formulas they use. Assign a value to the different events (taking an extra base, stolen base, getting thrown out, etc.), then add everything up.

Keep in mind that at youth levels, the gap between the best and the worst players is much, much larger than at the Major League Baseball level. So it is very possible that if you have an all-world speedster on the bases, she is providing more value to your team than a Corbin Carroll or Elly De La Cruz provide to theirs.
I forgot to say thanks....we checked out the links. and are apprecative of you taking time to reply...

Thanks,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwaehler