Scoring STATS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
Softball has a million stats so I know there is one for what I am looking for and I don't know where to find it or am I saying it right.

I am looking for the STAT that tells me a percentage of time a person scores once on base.

We measure slugging percentage SLG and on base percentage (OBP), but we want to know what percentage of time a player scores once on base.

Thanks

Jun 18, 2023
Softball has a million stats so I know there is one for what I am looking for and I don't know where to find it or am I saying it right.

I am looking for the STAT that tells me a percentage of time a person scores once on base.

We measure slugging percentage SLG and on base percentage (OBP), but we want to know what percentage of time a player scores once on base.

Thanks

use OBP to get raw number of PA on base (add RoE), divide it by R? It's not particularly useful for anything.

Take 2023 MLB for example, 197th of 199 players with at least 40 runs scored was Luis Arráez with 29.1%.

Top of the list is

Jorge Mateo 61.7%
Jose Siri 59.2
Adolis García 51
Elly De La Cruz 51
Corbin Carroll
Gunnar Henderson
Max Muncy
Ji Hwan Bae

It's just random. speed helps a little, but the main factor is quality of the players behind you in the lineup.

Mar 28, 2020
use OBP to get raw number of PA on base (add RoE), divide it by R? It's not particularly useful for anything.

Take 2023 MLB for example, 197th of 199 players with at least 40 runs scored was Luis Arráez with 29.1%.

Top of the list is

Jorge Mateo 61.7%
Jose Siri 59.2
Adolis García 51
Elly De La Cruz 51
Corbin Carroll
Gunnar Henderson
Max Muncy
Ji Hwan Bae

It's just random. speed helps a little, but the main factor is quality of the players behind you in the lineup.
True.......thanks that helps for our purpose

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
There's not really a commonly used/meaningful stat.

If you literally want to know how many times she scored once she was actually on base, in addition to ROE, you also need to include FC and any pinch/courtesy running appearances.

I'm not sure what purpose it would serve though. Runs scored are largely a product of how good your teammates are at driving you in.

For evaluation purposes, the best stats are the ones that remove as much noise as possible. The run stat has a ton of noise. A player could get on base literally every time she ever bats and never score a run. Would you say she's a bad offensive player? So, what do you hope to prove by calculating how often a player scores when they're on base?

Oct 14, 2019
There's not really a commonly used/meaningful stat.

If you literally want to know how many times she scored once she was actually on base, in addition to ROE, you also need to include FC and any pinch/courtesy running appearances.

I'm not sure what purpose it would serve though. Runs scored are largely a product of how good your teammates are at driving you in.

For evaluation purposes, the best stats are the ones that remove as much noise as possible. The run stat has a ton of noise. A player could get on base literally every time she ever bats and never score a run. Would you say she's a bad offensive player? So, what do you hope to prove by calculating how often a player scores when they're on base?
Skylar Wallace at Florida is about to break the NCAA runs scored record. She has an incredibly high OBP and BA, along with prolific SB numbers and pretty good HR numbers. With her speed and baserunning acumen, she often scores from 1st or 2nd on a hit to the OF. So she helps herself to score runs to a good extent. But you're right, she still needs teammates to move her around.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Skylar Wallace at Florida is about to break the NCAA runs scored record. She has an incredibly high OBP and BA, along with prolific SB numbers and pretty good HR numbers. With her speed and baserunning acumen, she often scores from 1st or 2nd on a hit to the OF. So she helps herself to score runs to a good extent. But you're right, she still needs teammates to move her around.

If a player has a good OBP and is objectively fast, it's a given they'll score a lot with decent hitting behind them. You don't need a new individual metric to measure how often that happens. RISP tells you what you need to know regarding scoring efficiency. That said, it's somewhat remarkable that Wallace does that out of the 3-hole, but her 14 HRs certainly help.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

A lot of what you're describing is the noise I'm talking about.

You can't really assign a specific value to how much is her and how much is the team. So a stat that shows how often she scores when on base is meaningless in that it doesn't actually tell us anything.

Apr 14, 2022
I think you might be looking for baserunning runs.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I think you might be looking for baserunning runs.

And this is, of course, basically impossible to apply to a youth player/team.

If you want to figure out who scores the most runs compared to time on base, just do a simple R/TOB (H + BB + HBP) (plus maybe FC and ROE). If you want to figure out who scores the most runs per PA, just do R/PA.

If you want to figure out who is good at base running, you need to track SB/CS, extra bases taken on hits, TOOTBLANs (thrown out on the bases like a nincompoop), advancing on WP/PB (but then you have to also track any time a runner does NOT advance on a ball that eludes the catcher), etc. Maybe factor in GDP.

All this sounds like a tremendous amount of work to probably learn that you have too small a sample to gather anything meaningful from it, and it probably wouldn't tell you a lot that the eye test couldn't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwaehler